3.3 Cumulative 4.0 Post-Bacc 32 MCAT? MD?

Started by mm855752
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mm855752

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lets say I have a 3.3 Cumulative GPA with a 4.0 of Post-Bacc, the Cumulative is with the Post-Bacc GPA added in. As well as a 32 MCAT, how hard do you think it is to get into an MD school in the US?

I did my GPA Calculations again and It shows that even if I had a 4.0 during Post-Bacc, my Cumulative would only be 3.31.

Im a non-traditional, Business major. Post-Bacc Grades are all Bio, Physics, Chem, Orgo. And I've taken Stats/Calc as an undergrad with A's. So my BCPM would be a 4.0.

I'm really starting to worry now.
 
I think if you applied super broadly (50+ programs) and early, you'd have a shot at MD, assuming your ECs/LORs/PS are good.

Lets say I have a 3.3 Cumulative GPA with a 4.0 of Post-Bacc, the Cumulative is with the Post-Bacc GPA added in. As well as a 32 MCAT, how hard do you think it is to get into an MD school in the US?

I did my GPA Calculations again and It shows that even if I had a 4.0 during Post-Bacc, my Cumulative would only be 3.31.

Im a non-traditional, Business major. Post-Bacc Grades are all Bio, Physics, Chem, Orgo. And I've taken Stats/Calc as an undergrad with A's. So my BCPM would be a 4.0.

I'm really starting to worry now.
 
super broadly (50+ programs)

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:


I think a 4.0 post-bacc with ~3.0 non-science things would be good at around 30 schools (50 is just plain too much for someone to handle). It would show your mastery of the relevant courses, and the 32 shows your aptitude as well. Make sure you have everything else in order (clinical experience, etc.). Again, I think you'd get in. Try to ask your state school's admissions office if they would meet with you to discuss your plans
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hahaha i had the same reaction when I saw 50. I'm dreading doing 35 when I apply, and I can't imagine 50 secondaries.
 
I'd vote just applying to your state's public schools, and being ready to get into an SMP if things don't look good by October.

If you look at my example (35 schools, no love except instate) and that of vc7777, you'll see there's almost no point in applying to tons of mid-to-low-tier schools when you have a low GPA. They get too many apps to take you seriously.

Best of luck to you.
 
If you have good ECs (volunteering, shadowing, research, etc.) then I'd say go for it, but only around 25-30 low to mid tier schools. If not then I would say you need to boost your record up a bit. But your way more than qualified for DO schools.
 
I have about 50 hours of shadowing different physicians at a hospital. I will be volunteering at a hospital this year, for about 10 months or more.
I also have over 300 hours of hospital volunteer service back in high school but Im pretty sure that doesn't count.

Now what are the Low-Mid Tier schools in the North East?
 
I have about 50 hours of shadowing different physicians at a hospital. I will be volunteering at a hospital this year, for about 10 months or more.
I also have over 300 hours of hospital volunteer service back in high school but Im pretty sure that doesn't count.

Now what are the Low-Mid Tier schools in the North East?

You should buy the MSAR to see which schools match closely with your stats. Some lower end schools (and by lower end I mean you actually have somewhat of a decent chance getting in with a 30+ MCAT and 3.5+ GPA) are Drexel, Albany Medical, Rosalind Franklin, Howard, Jefferson, NYMC, Virginia Tech, Temple and of course your state schools.
 
My experience with applicants with stats of these type is that applying to a ton of low tier schools (including state schools that are OOS friendly like Toledo, etc) works, but ymmv. I don't think 50 secondaries is unmanageable. I applied to 32 (which was far too many with ~3.7/40, although i was a CA resident) and was complete everywhere by august.
 
:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:


I think a 4.0 post-bacc with ~3.0 non-science things would be good at around 30 schools (50 is just plain too much for someone to handle). It would show your mastery of the relevant courses, and the 32 shows your aptitude as well. Make sure you have everything else in order (clinical experience, etc.). Again, I think you'd get in. Try to ask your state school's admissions office if they would meet with you to discuss your plans

I agree with this. 50 is way too much. Without financial aid, it'll cost around $6000 for the primary and secondary applications. This does not even count the travel expenses to interview. Plus, you'll never get your apps done before you become a late applicant at some schools. A 4.0 postbacc will show you excel in the sciences and/or have matured since your undergrad.

Get your clinical experiences down, throw in some research and think of a good personal statement. I'm not sure if you're a non-traditional, but if there is a compelling reason for you to choose medicine, make sure it's emphasized. Emphasize how you've matured since your undergrad as well, which can help explain the grade discrepancy.

I think you have a shot at MD. Especially at your state schools (apply to all of them). If you want, throw in some DO's for good measure.
 
Plus, you'll never get your apps done before you become a late applicant at some schools
Disagree with this - as drizzt said, it is possible. I did 29 secondaries and got them all out by the 2nd week of August.

After a while, they become pretty easy as you just edit the word length of a core essay. 50 by the end of Aug/begin of Sept is very do-able
 
The opportunity cost of reapplying and a wasted year is hundreds of thousands of dollars. No offense to the OP, but I doubt an excessive amount of MD interviews will be an issue regardless of how many programs they apply to.

I agree with this. 50 is way too much. Without financial aid, it'll cost around $6000 for the primary and secondary applications. This does not even count the travel expenses to interview. Plus, you'll never get your apps done before you become a late applicant at some schools. A 4.0 postbacc will show you excel in the sciences and/or have matured since your undergrad.

Get your clinical experiences down, throw in some research and think of a good personal statement. I'm not sure if you're a non-traditional, but if there is a compelling reason for you to choose medicine, make sure it's emphasized. Emphasize how you've matured since your undergrad as well, which can help explain the grade discrepancy.

I think you have a shot at MD. Especially at your state schools (apply to all of them). If you want, throw in some DO's for good measure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad