3.3 GPA Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kennyram401

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior with a 3.3 and will be taking Chemistry I and II this summer. They will be my only prereqs on my app. I am getting ready to take the MCAT soon and have invested in Princeton review books. What are my chances at about 25 MD/DO schools? PLEASE DO NOT POST IF YOU HAVE TAKEN A POSTBACC OR MASTERS.

Members don't see this ad.

Ya I wouldn't want advice from someone whose done a postbac or masters either.. who do they think they are?

Reactions: 2 users
I applied to about 25 with a similar gpa and an MCAT around the matriculant mean for MD schools a couple years ago. MD schools told me to go kill myself and I got 1 DO interview but didn't get in. But I had all my prereqs done when I applied, and it seems like a bad idea to apply without them as the "req" in prereqs stands for requirements. Nothing wrong with a postbacc or masters.

Members don't see this ad :)
your concern should be more towards finishing your pre-reqs first :)
Although there are schools that do not necessarily 'require' them, to quote Goro's words,
"prove to medical schools that you are able to handle medical school"
They are basically hard courses that you must prove yourself in.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a senior with a 3.3 and will be taking Chemistry I and II this summer. They will be my only prereqs on my app. I am getting ready to take the MCAT soon and have invested in Princeton review books. What are my chances at about 25 MD/DO schools? PLEASE DO NOT POST IF YOU HAVE TAKEN A POSTBACC OR MASTERS.
That GPA is lethal for MD schools, but fine for DO.

I would advise an attitudinal adjustment first. Also, you're more likely than not gonna need more prereqs in your app. What's the rest of it look like anyway?

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you think it's a good idea to apply with only chemistry pre reqs? What about upper level bio, physics, biochem?? Also why would you take such a high stakes exam after only taking gen chem, that just shows poor judgment, yea you can self study but how do you expect to do well knowing there is physics, biochem, orgo, psych, and sociology on it and you haven't taken a pre req for any of those

Also your 3.3 does not take into account any pre req grades if you plan on taking gen chem 1 and 2 this summer. Do you have a sGPA/ what was your major?

Reactions: 1 users
I have no other stats other than clinical hours but I am going to just wait til next year. I think if I take upper level physics it might boost my GPA a tad. Who knows.