3.30 GPA, 17O MCAT, non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jallen293

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I got my second MCAT score today and I'm truly disappointed. The only thing I improved upon was the written portion (which I hear doesn't even matter). I went from a 17L to a 17O. I am a non-traditional student having spent four years in the United States military and worked as a surgical tech. After the military (and two children later!) I decided to further my education with the intent of applying to medical school. My GPA is currently a 3.30. I've had a lot of people tell me that my GPA is not bad for working two jobs, raising two kids and being married to a military member who deploys every so often. Personally I don't find my GPA that stellar, but I guess it could be worse. My questions is, with my background (four years military service, 10 years OR experience, volunteer work for HFH, extensive clinical shadowing, training new surgical tech students, retaining my certification for my current position...) is there any chance that I may actually be considered give that my GPA and MCAT score are so low? I have excellent letters of recommendations from physicians, professors and military commanders who have known me for at least 5 years, but I feel like none of this even matters given that I may be passed over. Any thoughts on what I could possible do besides taking the MCAT again in the Spring?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I got my second MCAT score today and I'm truly disappointed. The only thing I improved upon was the written portion (which I hear doesn't even matter). I went from a 17L to a 17O. I am a non-traditional student having spent four years in the United States military and worked as a surgical tech. After the military (and two children later!) I decided to further my education with the intent of applying to medical school. My GPA is currently a 3.30. I've had a lot of people tell me that my GPA is not bad for working two jobs, raising two kids and being married to a military member who deploys every so often. Personally I don't find my GPA that stellar, but I guess it could be worse. My questions is, with my background (four years military service, 10 years OR experience, volunteer work for HFH, extensive clinical shadowing, training new surgical tech students, retaining my certification for my current position...) is there any chance that I may actually be considered give that my GPA and MCAT score are so low? I have excellent letters of recommendations from physicians, professors and military commanders who have known me for at least 5 years, but I feel like none of this even matters given that I may be passed over. Any thoughts on what I could possible do besides taking the MCAT again in the Spring?
Retake and aim for 25+ to have a shot at DO...Your chances are slim-to-none with a 17 mcat score.

3.3 isnt bad at all for DO, hence thats what I had and did well. but a 3.3/17 isnt happening man, sorry. you need to retake, no way around it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

You will be a successful applicant, if you can learn to conquer the beast and get a competitive MCAT score. Your ECs are terrific.

Read this: Noshie’s Hope for those trying to get past an MCAT score in the teens or low 20's:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=774396

What were you averaging on your practice exams? How long did you spend studying for the MCAT? You must be doing something wrong to get the same score again. You have to look at what you did, figure out what went wrong, and fix it. Your GPA is good but that MCAT score will severely hinder your chances.

If you can score higher than a 24 on a retake with your life experiences you would have a shot at DO schools. I would say that maybe it's best to invest in a MCAT prep-course.

Just get the mcat up to a 23 and you'll probably get in.

mcat prep courses are a complete waste of money. use the sn2 plan and shoot as high as possible, dont listen to people when they say "all you need is this" because they arent on the comittee evaluating your file now are they? lol. but your ECs are great and your PS is fine. go back and own the mcat then post another thread with your new mcat score.

How did you prepare for the MCAT?

What were your subscores?

The answers to those to questions are a factor. Either way, you most likely need to retake it.

OP, MCAT prep courses are a waste of time for those that are doing moderately okay and want to get a decently high score (going from a 25 to a 35?). If you're starting around low scores such as the teens and want to get up to the mid 20 mark then a MCAT course will most likely do it for you. SN2ed is definitely a great prep you could choose that too but if you have already tried some of the material that SN2ed put in his prep schedule then I would grab some money and get a prep-course. Honestly if you score in the mid-20s DO schools would definitely take you seriously don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

First, many thanks to you for your service to your country. While your GPA is a tad low, it's still in the competetive range, but the MCAT performance is going to keep you out of medical school. A 17 is, what, 5/6/6?

I would recommend that your test taking skills be evaluated, because I'd wager you have trouble taking standardized tests. if so, unfortunately, we're addicted to giving them in medical school, and so it's a skill set you're going to have to acquire. The alternative is that what you're learning is not being retained, which is even worse.

Hi Everyone!