MD & DO 3.32 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA 35 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rrrrr5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey-

3.32/3.37/35; HYPS grad. I am a reapplicant. Past cycle I only applied MD and in Oct/Nov. No iis. My sGPA has a downward trend in my junior/senior year (partially due to a family illness). Spoke to an admissions counselor at UC, he said I needed to do a year of full-time advanced science courses (20-30 units) before I even think about re-applying. Have 100 clinical volunteering hours and some shadowing. He said I needed more extensive clinical experience also. But, unfortunately I am 24 and I work full-time so I can't do the courses or the clinical hours...

I am interested in DO as well, but I wasn't familiar with it when I applied this past cycle. Would I be competitive even with my sub-average GPA and downward trend? Was the admissions counselor correct in saying I had no chance with MD unless I do the additional advanced sciences and clinical exp? I.E. could submitting early with strong LORs, PS, and a diversity of schools give me a different result in the MD?

Lastly, I live in norcal and not many DOs in the area. Would an MD letter suffice, or given my grades should I worry I do not have DO shadowing or a letter?

cheers!

Members don't see this ad.