3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 502 MCAT, Masters/GPA repair advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which route sounds best?

• Top MPH Program

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MHS from Hopkins in either Mental Health or Molecular Microbiology and Immunology

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • BU MAMS program

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Apply to Georgetown/VCU/RFU SMP

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Do something else with my time/money

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fuzzumz5000

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need a postbac and an MCAT retake. SMPs are high risk high reward, but you have a weak gpa in addition to having a weak MCAT. Have you considered DO?

Reactions: 1 user
you could probably go ahead and apply DO and save yourself the 30-40k (or whatever it is for an SMP/MPH)...

If you really want MD, then you need to go and ace the SMP and also do well on MCAT retake 510+.

It is somewhat risky and expensive to do the SMP while you have a reasonable shot at DO, but it is all a preference to your career goals and how risk-averse you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure about attempting an SMP with a 3.3/27? You have to be very very strong with your grades in the SMP for it to pay off. Might be safer as already advised to go for an easily aced post bacc and then prepare 110% for a retake

Reactions: 3 users
I dont have data on this, but I feel like SMPs only work for the linkage programs or if you have borderline stats. Even Acing the SMP doesnt mean a whole lot without an MCAT of 512+. You are currently sitting at a LizzyM of 61~. That is greater than 2 SDs below the Median matriculant. Your gpa is honestly not the largest thing holding you back at this point. It is the combo. post bac with a strong MCAT retake would be the best course of action. Moving to a state which has lower median LizzyM might even be a better choice. Even scoring 514+ on the mcat as it stands without an SMP or post bac may even open up some doors.

I would take the DO and run.

I'm with efle. My GPA was even lower than yours, and I did a post-bacc and retook the MCAT. I think it put me in a good place, especially because I could work and save money at the same time. In an SMP you drop lots of cash, and you typically don't have the time to work and do research

You could be in DO school Fall 2018 if you apply now. I wouldn't waste my money and time.

Reactions: 1 users
I just know that I have to go into this BU program with the mindset that I HAVE TO get all A's in everything.

Remember that this is the mindset of everyone in the program. Words are easy, doing is much harder.

but my ultimate goal is an MD school.

Do you want to be a doctor or an MD?

The people who do well in SMPs and usually get into MD programs have high MCAT scores (512+) on top of acing the SMP. If you want to be a doctor then go DO and don't look back, the decision to chase the MD is very high risk with your academic profile and will cost you a minimum of about 250k.

Reactions: 1 users
Berkeley Extension. Most UCs have extensions though, and you can probably find a local school where you can take classes. You don't need a formal postbacc