MD & DO WAMC: 3.85 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA, 502 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrimsonDolphinz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a reapplicant from last year (DO and MD) and wanted to ask for advice on school lists and chances at schools.

1. My cGPA is 3.85 and my sGPA is 3.83. My first take was a 491 last year but now have a 502. (124,124,126,128)
2. I am a Florida resident and US Citizen.
3. I am Asian.
4. I went to UCF and graduated with a B.S. in Health Sciences - Pre clinical (Cumlaude)
5. I am a medical scribe and currently have around 500 hours. I have volunteered in a hospital for 400 hours. I also had a job in the past which I had to quit due to covid which allowed me to interact with patients and register them. (150 hours)
6. I have some research experience in college through a community outreach project allowing me to educate disadvantaged populations about substance use. (120 hours) Additionally, I led my group in a course involving us to develop a research proposal. (90 hours) Finally, I have around 150 hours as a cardiovascular research assistant at a hospital where I worked with multiple studies and helped collect data on devices and interventions.
7. I have shadowed a DO (emergency medicine) and MD (cardiology) for around 400 hours combined.
8. I have around 1700 hours of volunteering at my religious organization which is also a well-known charity.
9. During my gap year, I have improved my MCAT score, became a scribe, and gained research experience.
10. Multiple presidents and deans list, full scholarship, multiple other scholarships, CITI certification, CDC certifications.
11. I am the first generation to be born in America as my parents immigrated and the first to go to college. Additionally, my family is low-income and disadvantaged. We have faced healthcare disparities and it has been noted in my AMCAS and AACOMAS as well as my secondaries.

I have a fee waiver for MD which allows me to apply to 20 MD schools for free so I need help making a list. So far, I have applied to all the FL MDs. I am open to any state or any location (rural, urban, suburban) but prefer suburban/urban as I am used to it. I have used MSAR to help me gauge potential schools to apply to as it shows the MCAT ranges, however, I am still having a hard time deciding as I do not know much about the 10% and other percentiles and my MCAT is low.

I have applied to DO schools such as VCOM, PCOM, LECOM, MSU, LMU Burrell (they are opening a FL campus) and ACOM (received II). I am planning to apply to KCU as well but would like to see other schools I can apply to. Additionally, I am confused for picking campuses at certain schools such as VCOM and LECOM as I do not know which is better.

Please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

You could add these MD schools to your application:
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Wake Forest
For DO schools I suggest these:
NOVA
LECOM-Bradenton
LECOM-Jacksonsville (when it opens)
Orlando (when it opens)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
NYIT-AR
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
Noorda-COM

You could add these MD schools to your application:
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Wake Forest
For DO schools I suggest these:
NOVA
LECOM-Bradenton
LECOM-Jacksonsville (when it opens)
Orlando (when it opens)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
NYIT-AR
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
Noorda-COM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've already applied and received an II from ACOM. Could I apply to TCU even though I am not from Texas? Also, I believe Orlando opens in 2028 and LECOM Jacksonville opens in 2026. I believe VCOM asks me to rank campuses so which campus is the better out of the 4?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've already applied and received an II from ACOM. Could I apply to TCU even though I am not from Texas? Also, I believe Orlando opens in 2028 and LECOM Jacksonville opens in 2026. I believe VCOM asks me to rank campuses so which campus is the better out of the 4?
TCU does not have a preference for Texas residents. Orlando has a pending application that will be voted on in August and if approved will be accepting applications shortly after August.. For VCOM, the Monroe campus is new so that would be your lowest choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you apply in your previous cycle (with II's and decisions)?

Can you describe what your vision is as a physician? What mission fit are you looking for? The answers will help you with your VCOM campus question.
Hey, thanks for your response. I applied to every DO and in-state MD's + OOS friendly MDs last cycle. (I know, dumb decision to apply with my previous score). I did not get any II or acceptances. However, this cycle I received an II at ACOM after improving my MCAT and gaining research and other clinical experience. My vision as a physician is to help ease the health disparities such as the ones I have personally faced while allowing the patient to contribute more to their treatment. I'm more oriented toward primary care and IM specialties. I'm looking for a mission fit that is directed toward patient-centered care and helping the underserved. I would like to be at a school that is supportive for its students but is also focused on research and preventive medicine.
Thanks

I suggest:
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
MCW
NEOMED
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Your state school(s)

Any DO program, except the Touros, AZCOM and CCOM, for whom your MCAT is too low. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

I suggest:
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
MCW
NEOMED
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Your state school(s)

Any DO program, except the Touros, AZCOM and CCOM, for whom your MCAT is too low. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
Thank you!

Only MD schools I would recommend are the FL ones. Go with Faha's and Goro's recommendations for your DO list.

Reactions: 1 user
NEOMED is not a good mission fit with the applicant (strong preference for underserved Ohio residents).
What MD and DO do you recommend? I've applied to all the FL MD and still have around 11-12 applications left that I could submit for free.

Your chances are best with DO. Others on this thread are much more familiar with those schools and have already made suggestions.

What was the nature of your nonclinical volunteering with your church?