3.4 cGPA, 4.0 SMP, 511 MCAT (123 CARS), URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crrbs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. 3.4 cGPA & 3.1 sGPA (no major trend, several Cs & 2 Ws for science and non-science classes), 4.0 SMP
2. 511 (129/123/130/129)
3. TX
4. Hispanic (good Spanish), low SES
5. Texas public university

6. Clinical:
Hospital CNA (500)

EMT (1200) for medically underserved urban/rural areas, IFT mostly but some 911

MA (30) at pediatrics clinic

7. Research:
2 projects for same lab (300 combined), only 1 year, 1 poster award at undergrad forum

8. Shadowing:
Pediatrics (20)
Sports medicine (20)

9. Community engagement:
Literacy/Civics instructor (200, 300 more projected), preparing students for U.S. naturalization exam to become citizens, 1 instructor award, focus on building confidence with English

Tutored (30) elementary/middle school students with math and Spanish

Nursing home volunteer (10), arts & craft

10. Other:
Research mentor (150) for 1 semester, helped incoming freshman how to read scientific literature and learn lab procedures, all my students joined undergrad labs the next semester

Chem LA (150)

2 retail jobs (part-time) during school breaks

11. Currently applying to TMDSAS schools and TCU. Complete late August due to MCAT score. Boosting application in case I need to reapply

Right now I'm working full-time as a public health tech for a detoxification center, our city just opened one due to the increasing local overdose deaths (1000+ projected by May)

Where to go from here?

Members don't see this ad.

Solid MCAT and activities for Texas schools.
Your lower undergrad GPA is the only weak point, but your excellent performance in the postbac should help you.
Did you apply to the 2 DO schools on TMDSAS, or MD only?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! Looking for a DO to shadow this year

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope your SMP faculty are highly supportive. What messages have they given you before applying?
Very few 4.0s at reputable SMP. Grad advisor helped a lot with the transition to the cirriculum, and I got an LOR from them. Overall, they said I had great ECs and I used their writing services for my primaries/secondaries to have a good narrative/theme. I'll follow-up with them depending on how the current cycle goes

What do you think?