WAMC URM 3.5/511

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1175692

*this is for my friend who doesn’t have sdn*

State: NJ resident & Fl ties

URM: Y black woman

GPA: overall 3.5 sci 3.1 ish (no upward trend some Cs and Ws, F in Orgo and retook it for C)

*Good explanation for poor grades. Had to work full time to help out family*

MCAT: 511

Clinical volunteer: 80 hrs at hospital doing basic stuff

Non clinical volunteer: homeless shelter 400hrs, tutoring immigrants 200hrs, training service dogs 60hrs, teaching sex Ed to low income kids 25hrs

Clinical work: CNA 300hrs,

Research: hiv research 90hrs no poster

Leadership: health chair for minority org, student ambassador/mentor for undergrads in stem, orientation leader for freshman minorities in STEM —-total 500hrs

Shadowing: 50hrs primary care

Work experience: security desk assistant 600hrs, philanthropy for scholarships for minority students 180hrs, took care of students in quarantine 400hrs

Awards: 1 volunteer scholarship for education

School list: Wake Forest, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Rutgers, UCLA Drew, Hackensack, Howard, NYMC, UMass, Gesinger, Tulane, GW, Tufts, Vermont, Miami, Morehouse, Meharry, Georgetown, Emory, SLU

Should she apply DO?

@Faha @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your friend should create an account and join us here. We're nicer.
She’s so nervous about not being good enough for med school. So I’m posting this to help her out!! Any feedback would be great!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with her stats:
The 3 New Jersey state public schools
Hackensack
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Miami
Tulane
TCU
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 users
Any prior networking? Mission fit? You haven't answered my other question.
Sorry no prior networking. She is passionate about working with/ advocacy for underserved low income communities. Wants to highlight volunteering/leadership with that population in her app. She also has a lot of hours working in the service industry.

Sorry no prior networking. She is passionate about working with/ advocacy for underserved low income communities. Wants to highlight volunteering/leadership with that population in her app. She also has a lot of hours working in the service industry.
She needs to start networking. Many mentoring organizations target and mentor Black/African-American physicians, and I'm sure many of them can give her the support she seeks that this is the right career for her. She should be looking up the SNMA chapters at every school on her list and networking with admissions staff. I also highly suggest considering the HBCU medical schools who will appreciate the experience we are presuming she has. Many of them are on the previously provided list above.

Reactions: 3 users
She needs to apply DO; she has a decent reason for the low-ish GPA. Her URM status plus the full-time work will get her treated like an ORM with a 3.7 or 3.8 and 515 who grew up in a comfortable suburb. Pack fodder for most MD schools and strong for DO - where she probably should apply.

Pack fodder: you're in the pack, most of a class is made up of pack fodder. If you're pack fodder, you have a real shot at being accepted but you are also nothing special by that school's standards.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
She needs to apply DO; she has a decent reason for the low-ish GPA. Her URM status plus the full-time work will get her treated like an ORM with a 3.7 or 3.8 and 515 who grew up in a comfortable suburb. Pack fodder for most MD schools and strong for DO - where she probably should apply.

Pack fodder: you're in the pack, most of a class is made up of pack fodder. If you're pack fodder, you have a real shot at being accepted but you are also nothing special by that school's standards.
the average gpa/mcat for AA DO is like a 3.3/499. She is significantly above those averages. And for MD it 3.59/505 her MCAT is high and her gpa is almost 50 percentile. Nothing wrong with DO and it doesn’t hurt to apply to some, but I have seen AA applicants get into MDs with lower stats than her.

Not to mention she has a lot of volunteering with underserved and a good story. Applying to Columbia would be a donation but schools with low diversity like Oakland, holistic like Tulane, and Hbcu would give her app a fair shot.

Not trying to be rude ofc but I don’t think she’s in a situation where she must apply DO/has slim chances for MD.

She needs to start networking. Many mentoring organizations target and mentor Black/African-American physicians, and I'm sure many of them can give her the support she seeks that this is the right career for her. She should be looking up the SNMA chapters at every school on her list and networking with admissions staff. I also highly suggest considering the HBCU medical schools who will appreciate the experience we are presuming she has. Many of them are on the previously provided list above.
Thanks! I think HBCUs + pwi schools that need diversity + state schools + service schools would be the best way to go.

Do u know which schools are looking for diversity and are oos friendly?

*Also recalculated her science gpa and it’s actually 3.3*

the average gpa/mcat for AA DO is like a 3.3/499. She is significantly above those averages. And for MD it 3.59/505 her MCAT is high and her gpa is almost 50 percentile. Nothing wrong with DO and it doesn’t hurt to apply to some, but I have seen AA applicants get into MDs with lower stats than her.

Not to mention she has a lot of volunteering with underserved and a good story. Applying to Columbia would be a donation but schools with low diversity like Oakland, holistic like Tulane, and Hbcu would give her app a fair shot.

Not trying to be rude ofc but I don’t think she’s in a situation where she must apply DO/has slim chances for MD.
Her sGPA is 3.1. That is low. But you seem to have the answers needed to advise her. No sense in wasting the time of actual ADCOM members and people that have worked in admissions for years. As her friend you might want to encourage her to join SDN. Perhaps she would have specific questions that could be brought out.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Her sGPA is 3.1. That is low. But you seem to have the answers needed to advise her. No sense in wasting the time of actual ADCOM members and people that have worked in admissions for years. As her friend you might want to encourage her to join SDN. Perhaps she would have specific questions that could be brought out.
I understand and I am so thankful for the help ( I don't know anyone in medicine personally so sdn is so helpful!). I was just trying to understand the averages and where she would fall as an applicant. Sorry if I offended anyone that was never my intention!

I understand and I am so thankful for the help ( I don't know anyone in medicine personally so sdn is so helpful!). I was just trying to understand the averages and where she would fall as an applicant. Sorry if I offended anyone that was never my intention!
She is average at best stats wise and probably below average really. Her excuses for her low GPA are just that-excuses. Everyone has an excuse for everything. Depending how she weaves her story her excuses might work and they might not.
If she wants help she should sign up,and take advantage of the wealth of knowledge on SDN. TO say she hasn’t signed up for SDN because she Is so nervous about not being good enough for med school is strange. If she wants help fine but by you running interference she might be missing out on something that could be game changing for her.
Are you aware that each cycle only around 40 percent of all applicants are accepted to any med school and half of those accepted are accept to ONE school. This includes stellar applicants who have done everything right. Just a bit of information to share.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
*this is for my friend who doesn’t have sdn*

State: NJ resident & Fl ties

URM: Y black woman

GPA: overall 3.5 sci 3.1 ish (no upward trend some Cs and Ws, F in Orgo and retook it for C)

*Good explanation for poor grades. Had to work full time to help out family*

MCAT: 511

Clinical volunteer: 80 hrs at hospital doing basic stuff

Non clinical volunteer: homeless shelter 400hrs, tutoring immigrants 200hrs, training service dogs 60hrs, teaching sex Ed to low income kids 25hrs

Clinical work: CNA 300hrs,

Research: hiv research 90hrs no poster

Leadership: health chair for minority org, student ambassador/mentor for undergrads in stem, orientation leader for freshman minorities in STEM —-total 500hrs

Shadowing: 50hrs primary care

Work experience: security desk assistant 600hrs, philanthropy for scholarships for minority students 180hrs, took care of students in quarantine 400hrs

Awards: 1 volunteer scholarship for education

School list: Wake Forest, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Rutgers, UCLA Drew, Hackensack, Howard, NYMC, UMass, Gesinger, Tulane, GW, Tufts, Vermont, Miami, Morehouse, Meharry, Georgetown, Emory, SLU

Should she apply DO?

@Faha @Goro
She could get into MD programs with her stats, but the science GPA with no upward trend could also cause concern and possibly rejection. I'd suggest that she add DO programs to her list or consider a post-bac program (formal or informal) to improve the science grades. Yes, she has a "reason" and really strong experience, but she'd be better off if she could demonstrate that she can handle the coursework. The MCAT partially addresses that concern, but not fully.

I also concur with those that encourage her to join SDN. If she is so nervous that she can't handle posting here or joining SDN, how on earth is she going to handle the stress of the application cycle, much less medical school and the practice of medicine?

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

I think she should apply DO - but I also don't think that she has slim chances for MD. I said she was pack fodder - that means she has a shot at a mid-tier, but they're not drooling over her like they would if she had a 3.8/520.

• Haha