3.42 GPA 30O MCAT reapplicant. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xiao0707

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I applied last cycle with a 3.4 GPA with 3.4 sGPA and a 30O MCAT. I applied in late August/September to around 20 schools and only interviewed at my state school the University of Washington. They rejected me citing the reason I need more healthcare experience which I thought I was strong on. I've worked as a research intern for 4 years with the Department of Surgery at UW and 3 years as a research assistant with the Dept. of Pulmonary and Critical Care both doing clinical research and working with reputable doctors all the time, one who is the President of the American Thoracic Society and wrote me a letter of recommendation. So I wasn't sure if that's just a reason they gave me because of my low GPA and mediocre MCAT score
I plan on reapplying this cycle again and I'm wondering what I should do with my gap year. I've been accepted into the SMP at Georgetown and the M.S. program in Nutrition which is kind of like a SMP at Columbia. I hear that the Georgetown program is definitely more reputable but I also heard it's really hard and I can bomb my chance at med schools if I don't do well in it. And the Columbia program looks a lot more chill but I haven't heard a lot of things about it.
My question is that is my stats good enough to apply next cycle without the SMP programs? Because they're quite expensive and I don't want to take the chance of ruining my chances of med school if I don't do well in them. I'm open to both MD and DO but preferably a MD school if I can.
And also if I do need the SMP which one should I do? I'd also much rather live in NY instead of DC

Members don't see this ad.

I did a post-bacc unofficially, through a university extension program and I have no idea of the prestige of these programs, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. But based on what you've written, I would go with nutrition. The education will likely be of more value to someone hoping to enter medicine than an SMP program. Best of luck with your decision.