3.44 and stellar MCAT with late app. good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AGDJenni

William Hung, my antidrug
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Do you think a 3.44 overall GPA (science around 3.2) and a stellar MCAT score (35+) is good enough to get accepted?

(D, C freshman year gen.chem and two C's Junoir year caused the screw up)

I am asking because I have a 3.44 but will not take the MCAT until August so I will be a "late" applicant. I am debating on whether to apply this cycle assuming I will study my butt off and make a 35+, or do a post-bacc/special masters program to show improved course work and apply with my (hopefully) stellar MCAT score early next year. EC's are good and well balanced, LORs should be good too.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a real long shot. Don't count on the MCAT to turn you from a bad applicant to a good one -- I think your application is only as strong as its weakest link.

On the other hand, what do you have to lose from applying at least to your state schools (ie, the ones that will leave you least in debt if you were to get in) this year?

Hey guys,

Do you think a 3.44 overall GPA (science around 3.2) and a stellar MCAT score (35+) is good enough to get accepted?

I am asking because I have a 3.44 but will not take the MCAT until August so I will be a "late" applicant. I am debating on whether to apply this cycle assuming I will study my butt off and make a 35+, or do a post-bacc/special masters program to show improved course work and apply with my (hopefully) stellar MCAT score early next year. EC's are good and well balanced, LORs should be good too.

What do you think?

I am debating on whether to apply this cycle assuming I will study my butt off and make a 35+, or do a post-bacc/special masters program to show improved course work and apply with my (hopefully) stellar MCAT score early next year.

You will not get a 35+ simply by willing it to happen or "studying your butt off". Too many people speculate on here how if they "rock the MCAT" they can overcome some other application blemishes, but they somehow don't seem to ever manage it. Unless you have taken three practice full lengths and broken 35 on each, it is fairly unlikely you can have any confidence that you will get this score. The average for matriculants is about a 30, so most of the people who get into allo med schools won't approach a 35, and many of them have GPAs/BCPMs higher than you and pretty much all of them studied their butts off. So expecting to bail yourself out with a high MCAT isn't realistic. Based on your previous academic record, you probably shouldn't presume you are smarter than most med school matriculants. Nor is there really a sliding scale that you can bail out a low GPA with a high MCAT. If you have a problem in the GPA department, you fix it by taking more courses for A's. Sorry to be blunt, but this kind of "what are my chances when I rock the MCAT" thread is one of the more troublingly unrealistic recurrent themes on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will not get a 35+ simply by willing it to happen or "studying your butt off". Too many people speculate on here how if they "rock the MCAT" they can overcome some other application blemishes, but they somehow don't seem to ever manage it. Unless you have taken three practice full lengths and broken 35 on each, it is fairly unlikely you can have any confidence that you will get this score. The average for matriculants is about a 30, so most of the people who get into allo med schools won't approach a 35, and many of them have GPAs/BCPMs higher than you and pretty much all of them studied their butts off. So expecting to bail yourself out with a high MCAT isn't realistic. Based on your previous academic record, you probably shouldn't presume you are smarter than most med school matriculants. Nor is there really a sliding scale that you can bail out a low GPA with a high MCAT. If you have a problem in the GPA department, you fix it by taking more courses for A's. Sorry to be blunt, but this kind of "what are my chances when I rock the MCAT" thread is one of the more troublingly unrealistic recurrent themes on SDN.
Hey, *I* managed it. I just didn't join SDN until after I took the MCAT. :smuggrin:

All joking aside, I agree with L2D, OP. A 35 is the top 5% of MCAT scores. Even if your SAT or ACT was in the top 5%, the competition is a lot stiffer at this level, and you can't assume you will score that high unless your practice tests are consistently in that range. And even then, there's no guarantee. If I were you, I'd take the extra year to get your app as strong as you can make it. :luck: to you. :)

um... another question. Did you retake thise gen chem classes and get good grades in them? Most med schools say you have to have no lower than a C in every prereq course.

If you did retake and did well, then I think any further speculation on our part is pointless until you actually take the MCAT beast. EVERY med school applicant "plans" to get a 35+ on the MCAT.

I had a 3.45 and a 35, was an early applicant and got in. When I took the MCAT I was a lot more mature than when I earned my GPA though, so you may wish to proceed gingerly and make sure that whatever caused you to underperform has in fact been remedied.

Hey guys,

What do you think?

Yes, I did retake the Gen Chem courses and do well.

I am also ALOT more mature and feel I can do well on the MCAT. I know a 35+ is rare, but what can I say, I am an optimist. And, I won't take the real deal if I am not ready (3 consecutive tests in target range).

Thanks for the encouraging words and advice.