3.46 cGPA, 3.41 sGPA, ~32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is greatly damaged from college courses I took in high school (8 credits of Gen Chem with about a B average and 8 credits of Spanish with a C+ and B-). Without my high school courses my cGPA is ~3.57 and sGPA is ~3.47 (3.86 AO). I am still waiting for my MCAT score from my test earlier this month but I expect a 31 at the lowest and 36 at best. My GPA peaked last year at about 3.75-3.80 (All A's in O-chem and physics) but has fallen off this year to 3.35/3.1, so my trend is far from steady. This year I took many science courses so my schedule was difficult and my performance suffered (Anatomy (B), MolGen (B+), Biochem( B-), Microbio (B+), and Physiology (B)).
My other experiences:
- Double Major in Biology and Economics
- Shadowed a Doctor in a Pain Clinic and OR for 120 hours last summer
- Research experience last summer on opiod regulation in workplace
- Organic chemistry student assistant (grader)
- Volunteered at my University hospital for 80+ hours
- Planning research with my endocrinologist this summer (I'm Diabetic)
- Studying Abroad in India during May for a Public Health course, will include community service.
I am not URM but am First Generation College (I don't think that this matters)

I am applying as a Florida Resident.

My primary list so far is:
The Ohio State University (Current School)
Florida State University
University of Florida
Tufts
SUNY Upstate
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
Stony Brook
University of Illinois
Indiana
George Washington University
Temple
University of Southern Florida
University of Miami

Added:
Drexel
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Cincinnati
Hofstra

What do you guys think?
I am not currently considering DO schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
bump, any thoughts on whether they will see past my low grades during high school?

Last edited:
Your GPAs are well below avg for MD programs. Your list of OOS public schools is unrealistic.

It doesn't matter.
...but am First Generation College (I don't think that this matters)

Suggest the following

Florida State University
University of Florida
Tufts
NYMC
Temple
Drexel

Suggest adding the newest FL state schools, plus, what is it...FIU?

Rosy Franklin
Creighton
Maybe Tulane

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPAs are well below avg for MD programs. Your list of OOS public schools is unrealistic.

It doesn't matter.

Suggest the following

Florida State University
University of Florida
Tufts
NYMC
Temple
Drexel

Rosy Franklin
Creighton
Maybe Tulane
I am originally from New York which is why I am applying to the SUNY system. I only became a Florida resident this year. The SUNY system doesn't greatly prefer in state applicants as far as I know, but there is obviously some preference. (of course MSAR is down so I can not double check on this and the other schools I listed)

It doesn't matter.

Suggest the following

Florida State University
University of Florida
Tufts
NYMC
Temple
Drexel

Rosy Franklin
Creighton
Maybe Tulane

i dont think that's completely true. i know an ORM female who's a first gen college student. she had <3.5 GPA and <30 MCAT and got into a top 25 med school.

her ECs are above average, but not stellar.

Don't listen to goro. Sure your Gpa could be higher, but being a good doctor is about more that a 4.0. Medical schools take thousands of applicants yearly with stats like yours. Just be sure that you stand out in other ways on youe app such as ec's and show them why you could and will impact medicine. I have plenty friends with higher grades then me that are robots, but in interviews your personality comes out not your 3.4. All I can say is your fine go for it and best of luck.

Take out USC, heavy in state schools that has 50% class of minorities, you dont have a chance there.

Interesting, I also have a grade decline for senior year as a reapplicant, similar grades to yours, but overall higher gpa, higher MCAT yet everyone is telling me I can't apply lol

The SUNY's do have a heavy IS preference, roughly 80% of their classes are NY residents. I would take out those, take out IU and U of I. Replace them with Albany, perhaps Hofstra. If you're already in Ohio and considering staying, you might want to also add Cincinnati and Wright State, as they will let OOS applicants obtain residency and pay IS tuition for years 2-4.

The SUNY's do have a heavy IS preference, roughly 80% of their classes are NY residents. I would take out those, take out IU and U of I. Replace them with Albany, perhaps Hofstra. If you're already in Ohio and considering staying, you might want to also add Cincinnati and Wright State, as they will let OOS applicants obtain residency and pay IS tuition for years 2-4.
Do you (or anyone) think it matters I lived in New York for most of my life and graduated from a NY high school? I believe for in-state tuition purposes they consider you a resident for five years after you graduate from a NY high school.

Last edited:
My primary list so far is:
The Ohio State University (Current School)
Florida State University
University of Florida
Tufts
SUNY Upstate
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
Stony Brook
University of Illinois
Indiana
Temple
University of Miami

Added:
Drexel
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Cincinnati
Hofstra

What do you guys think?
I am not currently considering DO schools

We go to the same UG. I'm very surprised you received an A in chem and physics but not in micro and physio (micro 4000 and bronson's physio i'm assuming?). You might have taken a heavy science load and that might be why your GPA went a little down, but that's what med school is, man.

Also, you got in the India trip! Ah! I wasn't accepted! I'm friends with a few people going. Have fun!

We go to the same UG. I'm very surprised you received an A in chem and physics but not in micro and physio (micro 4000 and bronson's physio i'm assuming?). You might have taken a heavy science load and that might be why your GPA went a little down, but that's what med school is, man.

Also, you got in the India trip! Ah! I wasn't accepted! I'm friends with a few people going. Have fun!
I should have taken 4000 but I took 4100. I lost my clicker in the middle of Bronson physiology so I had 84/100 for that which was the difference between an A- and B, a stupid mistake I will regret for the rest of my life (at least that's how it feels now)

I should have taken 4000 but I took 4100. I lost my clicker in the middle of Bronson physiology so I had 84/100 for that which was the difference between an A- and B, a stupid mistake I will regret for the rest of my life (at least that's how it feels now)

Why didn't you just get a new clicker? That's pretty silly.

But yeah I HATE Carmen. Turned in a quiz that somehow got messed up and it gave me a 0/10 when I would have gotten a 9/10 which was the difference between an A- and an A (I got A-) in Bio. Dr. Weinstein couldn't have cared less.

Why didn't you just get a new clicker? That's pretty silly.

But yeah I HATE Carmen. Turned in a quiz that somehow got messed up and it gave me a 0/10 when I would have gotten a 9/10 which was the difference between an A- and an A (I got A-) in Bio. Dr. Weinstein couldn't have cared less.

I should have said I lost the points for two weeks, battery was dead. But yeah it was stupid, I just figured I would be able to get the majority of the other points. I was clearly wrong, way too many trick questions with not enough time to think.

Do you (or anyone) thin it matters I lived in New York for most of my life and graduated from a NY high school? I believe for in-state tuition purposes they consider you a resident for five years after you graduate from a NY high school.

Not sure, but it wouldn't hurt to call an admissions office of one of the SUNY's to ask.

I love how people see 3.4 - 3.5 GPA and say "below the MD average, you're screwed"...its called the AVERAGE for a reason (50% above and 50% below) obviously being above the average puts you in a much better position but 3.4-3.5 is not bad...stopping creating myths that make med school acceptance go from competitive to physically impossible.

Yeah that's tough... Those exams can be a pain. I got callams ochem 2 final tomorrow. Wish me luck...

I love how people see 3.4 - 3.5 GPA and say "below the MD average, you're screwed"...its called the AVERAGE for a reason (50% above and 50% below) obviously being above the average puts you in a much better position but 3.4-3.5 is not bad...stopping creating myths that make med school acceptance go from competitive to physically impossible.

I like to see that as well... Many here would classify an applicant with 3.5 GPA and 34 MCAT a below average applicant, which is clearly not the case.