MD URM, 3.48 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA, 506 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed251

Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you participate in a pipeline program for minority prehealth students? Networking with SNMA officers? NSBE?

Do you have any community service that does not involve teaching or tutoring?

I think you have a lot of reaches in your current school list with a 506 URM. I also want some clarity on mission fit. You should include your HBCU schools IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you participate in a pipeline program for minority prehealth students? Networking with SNMA officers? NSBE?

Do you have any community service that does not involve teaching or tutoring?

I think you have a lot of reaches in your current school list with a 506 URM. I also want some clarity on mission fit. You should include your HBCU schools IMO.
yes the pre-professional club i mention is nsbe so i was involved in the board all four years

my community service is mostly volunteering within my school as a mentor/tutor, stem outreach in low income community middle schools, and then the volunteering at the geriatric/family clinic

would you mind clarifying what you mean by mission fit? like my main interest in a med school, how i am connecting with the programs at each school?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i also mention in my essays/activities section that the leadership i do all involved extensive community outreach/international relief efforts

i missed the pipeline program question but in high school i did do pipeline programs for STEM generally and i received a scholarship in college that was for minority premed students

i missed the pipeline program question but in high school i did do pipeline programs for STEM generally and i received a scholarship in college that was for minority premed students
The 4 HBCU schools you could add are Howard, Drew, (on your "considering " list) and also Morehouse and Meharry.

You do have many reaches in your application. I suggest adding more schools this week and consider these:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Downstate
Quinnipiac
Indiana
Miami
Drexel
Temple
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Eastern Virginia

You do have many reaches in your application. I suggest adding more schools this week and consider these:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Downstate
Quinnipiac
Indiana
Miami
Drexel
Temple
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Eastern Virginia
thank you so much for this! what do you think would be a good number of additional apps to include?

i also wanted to share that the main focus in my apps is global health (all my research and study abroad is on that and i focused on international relief efforts in my clubs and student government). are you aware of any schools that i might be good fit for?

i was also curious how many schools in my list are reaches in your opinion so i can consider that when revamping things

Albany is a reasonable addition.

i was also curious how many schools in my list are reaches in your opinion so i can consider that when revamping things
I would look at the MSAR. Personally, I would consider any school where you are below the 10th percentile for either GPA/MCAT a reach. Some schools actually post the score range of last year's class. For example, the lowest MCAT for someone admitted to Columbia last year was 508, making it rather unlikely for someone with a 506 to get in.

I would look at the MSAR. Personally, I would consider any school where you are below the 10th percentile for either GPA/MCAT a reach. Some schools actually post the score range of last year's class. For example, the lowest MCAT for someone admitted to Columbia last year was 508, making it rather unlikely for someone with a 506 to get in.
so im at 10th percentile for 11 of the schools im considering/applied to alrdy, do you think that would be a comfortable number or should i consider more?

so im at 10th percentile for 11 of the schools im considering/applied to alrdy, do you think that would be a comfortable number or should i consider more?
As a disclaimer, I am also an applicant and not as qualified as the other people in this thread. I think that Faha gave great suggestions, especially the HBCUs.(maybe consider adding Albany/downstate too) Personally, I would apply to almost every school on that list if you can see yourself attending those because many of your current schools are unrealistic.

As a disclaimer, I am also an applicant and not as qualified as the other people in this thread. I think that Faha gave great suggestions, especially the HBCUs.(maybe consider adding Albany/downstate too) Personally, I would apply to almost every school on that list if you can see yourself attending those because many of your current schools are unrealistic.
ok thank you @Faha would you mind providing feedback on my questions?

The reached are
case western, columbia, harvard, icahn, nyu grossman, stanford, pritzker, michigan, U virginia, cornell.
You could also add Pittsburgh, which is URM friendly.

I suggest making sure that your own state school(s) are on the list and removing:

boston
case western
columbia
harvard
icahn
buffalo (IF you're not from NY)
johns hopkins
keck
nyu grossman
ohio state (IF you're not from OH)
penn state
stony brook (IF you're not from NY)
stanford
upstate (IF you're not from NY)
pritzker
maryland (IF you're not from MD)
michigan (IF you're not from MI)
virginia (IF you're not from or VA)
wake forest
Downstate (IF you're not from NY)
Duke

ADD: UCLA, as they seem to like disadvantaged applicants

hi thank you so much! i am from NY, so i have included those schools on my list. would you say these are still enough schools to expect interviews/acceptances this cycle?
I suggest making sure that your own state school(s) are on the list and removing:

boston
case western
columbia
harvard
icahn
buffalo (IF you're not from NY)
johns hopkins
keck
nyu grossman
ohio state (IF you're not from OH)
penn state
stony brook (IF you're not from NY)