3.48cGPA, 3.36sGPA, no MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terryrmx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a biochemistry graduate from Louisiana State University. I want to know what I should do next. I graduated in May 2013; I didn't have my PR in 2013 and had to leave America to my home country. I was drafted into the army for an year. Then I was lucky to received my PR, came back and started working as a production lab technician. I wanted to be a doctor but not having a green card was hard on me and gave me doubts in college. I was almost certain to find a job in my home country. But now I'm here and looking for any advice. I will consider both MD and DO schools.

Major: Biochemistry
Freshman year - 3.66
Sophomore year - 3.27
Junior year - 3.41
Senior year - 3.48

cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.36. Depending on what they approve could range from 3.36 -3.56.

Research/ECs
I have 2 years of research experience in a neurobiology lab.
I was in leadership organizations. Freshman leadership council and Campus Life leadership organization.
Volunteered for Volunteer LSU.

I have no clinical experience at all, volunteering or shadowing experience. I scheduled to volunteer in a hospital starting November. I have just now started looking into the formats of the MCAT exam.

I have 133 credit hours and probably 80-90 hrs in BCPM. I don't know if a post-Bac or SMP will benefit me. Should I enroll in one of these programs? Should I prepare for a while and apply early in 2017? I have been out of school for 2 years. I would be happy if I could get into LSU's Med school. My parents do not work and are dependent on me and my brother. I am working now and my brother is a student.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The missing MCAT is very important. If you think you have the discipline, start studying intensively now and aim to take it in January or even April. If not, maybe consider a post-bacc or SMP which will help with GPA and hopefully give you structure to study for the MCAT. Good luck!

Your GPA is on the low side, but with a killer MCAT it won't be a problem. I would focus your energy on a home run on the MCAT rather than worrying about post-bacs and SMPs right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Numbers are fine for the LSUs and any DO school. For MD schools nationwide, the numbers are < avg.

Hi, I'm a biochemistry graduate from Louisiana State University. I want to know what I should do next. I graduated in May 2013; I didn't have my PR in 2013 and had to leave America to my home country. I was drafted into the army for an year. Then I was lucky to received my PR, came back and started working as a production lab technician. I wanted to be a doctor but not having a green card was hard on me and gave me doubts in college. I was almost certain to find a job in my home country. But now I'm here and looking for any advice. I will consider both MD and DO schools.

Major: Biochemistry
Freshman year - 3.66
Sophomore year - 3.27
Junior year - 3.41
Senior year - 3.48

cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.36. Depending on what they approve could range from 3.36 -3.56.

Research/ECs
I have 2 years of research experience in a neurobiology lab.
I was in leadership organizations. Freshman leadership council and Campus Life leadership organization.
Volunteered for Volunteer LSU.

I have no clinical experience at all, volunteering or shadowing experience. I scheduled to volunteer in a hospital starting November. I have just now started looking into the formats of the MCAT exam.

I have 133 credit hours and probably 80-90 hrs in BCPM. I don't know if a post-Bac or SMP will benefit me. Should I enroll in one of these programs? Should I prepare for a while and apply early in 2017? I have been out of school for 2 years. I would be happy if I could get into LSU's Med school. My parents do not work and are dependent on me and my brother. I am working now and my brother is a student.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on how the MCAT goes(aim for 510-511+) I think it's worth an application cycle to see how everything shakes. I would recommend doing some post-bacc work WHILE applying.

The problem isn't that your GPA's are low to the point they are lethal; it's that there's no upward trend. Your GPA numbers moving isn't that big of an issue(although if you take 7-8 upper level science courses over a year and ace them my guess is you would move up to say 3.56/3.48 type territory which aren't bad stats) it's establishing an upward trend. Closing out college with a 3.45 over your last two years isn't particularly convincing to MD ADCOMs.

You are fine for DO schools. You are above the 10th percentiles of both LSU schools in terms of GPA, and given their median MCAT scores are around a 29, a 510+ showing would help your cause. There are a number of lower tier MD schools where your GPA is right at or above the 10th percentile. With a 510+, I think they might be worth an application cycle when combined with your LSU schools. Like I said though, a year of acing upper level science courses in a DIY post-bacc would help your cause, even if the GPA boost isn't all that significant from a numerical stand point.

Not to be that guy, but if your parents are dependent on you and your brother, how will they be supported if you're both students?

Thanks for all the advice. I think for now I will study really hard for the MCAT and hopefully make a good score on it. I might take the April exam instead of the January one depending on how well I prepared for it. And to the last post, this has bothered me for a while... but I don't want to regret not trying for Med school(I regretted enough things already). My brother currently has stipends so that helps. Hopefully if I get in we can somehow tough out those years.

Oh, does anyone know a good online study group?