3.49 GPA, 26S MCAT, Mexican-American

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoZags

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just sent in my apps on Sunday, received a secondary from George Washington already but I was wondering if anyone has critiques regarding my GPA and MCAT scores on getting into medical school being Mexican American. I am also from Idaho, and the AAMC statistics noted that there was only 1 Mexican American applicant from Idaho last year, not sure if that has any pull but as the forum title states, what are my chances? Also, how much do essay scores on MCAT impact your overall score - because I scored in the 99th percentile for that category. I also have research experience and plenty of physician shadowing - lots of volunteer work as well.

Members don't see this ad.

whats the distribution of your MCAT score? Do you have anything under 8? If you just sent in application thats very late this cycle.. With a score like that it is hard to tell, even if you are an URM.

Physical - 9
Verbal - 9
Bio - 8
Essay - S

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have any input? I'm really trying for Washington School of Medicine (in Washington State), not sure if anyone knows about their admissions selection process.

I just sent in my apps on Sunday, received a secondary from George Washington already but I was wondering if anyone has critiques regarding my GPA and MCAT scores on getting into medical school being Mexican American. I am also from Idaho, and the AAMC statistics noted that there was only 1 Mexican American applicant from Idaho last year, not sure if that has any pull but as the forum title states, what are my chances? Also, how much do essay scores on MCAT impact your overall score - because I scored in the 99th percentile for that category. I also have research experience and plenty of physician shadowing - lots of volunteer work as well.
Those from under-represented population groups applying with your stats in past years through AMCAS, had a ~57% chance of an acceptance somewhere. This figure is not adjusted for lateness in the cycle. Essay scores are not generally given much weight in the US application process, sad to say. VS, however is heavily regarded.

I would give it a shot. Even if you don't make it this year, I'd chalk it up to lateness and try again next year. I have known URM's who's numbers were in the toilet.... and I mean, IN THE TOILET, that got in although they may have applied earlier than this. But, I can't imagine lateness would be worse than a 3.2 GPA and 22 MCAT. Go for it and keep us posted.

Anyone else have any input? I'm really trying for Washington School of Medicine (in Washington State), not sure if anyone knows about their admissions selection process.

I assume you mean University of Washington? I'm a little concerned that you haven't been doing your research.

If you haven't already applied here, you need to get on top of things immediately. First check out their residency requirements and make sure you will qualify as an Idaho resident.

Their app takes time, especially if you need to prove residency. I'm afraid your GPA and MCAT will be working against you here.

Also check out the admissions town halls on the UW site. They have a lot of info that will help with your apps (and figuring out your chances):

academic-standards.jpg

About lateness - Does this just factor in because the spots are filling up as we speak, and my app hasn't even been verified through AMCAS? I should note that I will be working on my secondary materials immediately and all of my LOR's are in order so all I will have to do is submit them once I get invited to the secondary. I also saw on the UWSOM interview schedule that they don't even interview Idaho Residents until much later, I think January and February, does that make a difference since its not for another 3 months?
If some Idaho residents have been offered interviews, then there are fewer potential interview spots remaining, thus the effect of "lateness." If no Idaho residents have yet been offered an interview, then you're on a more level playing field. Getting the Secondary in quickly will help. Your URM staus will help.