This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RevengeXO

Reaction score
Hello All, currently getting ready to apply and looking at my chances for this cycle. I'm not feeling too good about my GPA and extracurriculars. Would appreciate any realistic advice on what chances I have at going to medical school. Thanks for any help :)
  1. GPA: 3.49 cGPA / 3.37 sGPA / 3.27 AACOMAS ||| no postbacc/SMP
  2. MCAT 517
  3. CA resident
  4. Race: White (Arab)
  5. Undergrad: UCLA
  6. Volunteering: 200 hours in Orthopedic Hospital, ~ 75 hours in various campus health clubs
  7. Research experience and productivity: ~50 hours undergrad research in brain receptors, no pubs or anything to come out of it.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~50 hours shadowing Urologist, ~20 Hours Critical Care Physician, ~20 Hours Orthopedic Surgery, (100+ hours shadowing DPT physical therapist at Orthopedic Hospital).
  9. Non-clinical volunteering : 300+ hours in community college serving undeserved communities and local land.
  10. Other extracurricular activities: During my gap year, worked as an EMT
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    1. 4 W's on my transcript
    2. Last 2 years GPA have been super mediocre (4.0/3.1/3.75/2.7/2.9/2.8/4.0/4.0)
    3. No explanation/reason for W's or poor GPA trend.
School List:

Want to apply very broadly as I really want to go MD however am also open to DO.

SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Cincinnati
Vermont
Ohio State
Rochester
U Arizona-Phoenix
U Indiana
U Wisconsin
U Kentucky
Hofstra
Einstein
U IowaU Maryland
U Colorado
Dartmouth
Stony Brook
U Illinois
Wayne State
U Miami Miller
Boston U
Wake Forest
UC Riverside
UC Davis
UCI
Toledo
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Eastern Virginia
East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine
Washing State University Floyd College
Quinnipiac
St. Louis University
Medical college of Wisconsin
West Virginia
UCF
U Arizona – Tucson
UCLA
Stanford
UNLV Medical School
USF
Florida State FSU
Arkansas
Virginia Tech
UMass
Drexel

DO School List:
Western
Touro CA
Touro NV
PCOM
DMU
KCU
UIWSOM
NYITCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have many schools that take few to no students that are out-of-state and several schools that are unrealistic with your GPA.

How many hours did you work as an EMT? What exactly did you do in community college for non-clinical volunteering?

Reactions: 1 user
Take off Cincinnatti, SUNY Upstate and Downstate, UA Phoenix, UA Tucson, Stony Brook, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Maryland, University of Michigan, Eastern Carolina University, Arkansas, UCLA, Stanford, U Miami, Dartmouth, some of FL schools

Members don't see this ad :)
You have many state public schools on your list that admit very few or no non residents with your GPAs and no connection to the state (for example East Carolina does not admit any non residents). You also have several other schools that are unrealistic with your GPAs. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
California University
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
TCU
NOVA MD
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont (when it opens)
You have a good DO list.

You have many schools that take few to no students that are out-of-state and several schools that are unrealistic with your GPA.

How many hours did you work as an EMT? What exactly did you do in community college for non-clinical volunteering?
1. Noted! I listed all of the schools I heard success stories from and was willing to apply to as many as possible to help get As. Will look into purchasing MSAR soon and look into what to cut out for OOS. Thank you!

- I worked ~1100 hours as an EMT . In my community college volunteering, I would set up and organize weekly volunteer/community service events designated for COVID-19 relief, community garden restoration, food banks, meal service, an essential goods drive, and online research services for underserved populations.

1. Noted! I listed all of the schools I heard success stories from and was willing to apply to as many as possible to help get As. Will look into purchasing MSAR soon and look into what to cut out for OOS. Thank you!

- I worked ~1100 hours as an EMT . In my community college volunteering, I would set up and organize weekly volunteer/community service events designated for COVID-19 relief, community garden restoration, food banks, meal service, an essential goods drive, and online research services for underserved populations.
You could try Loyola and Creighton too.

Follow Faha’s list. That will save you the time of looking through MSAR.

You have many state public schools on your list that admit very few or no non residents with your GPAs and no connection to the state (for example East Carolina does not admit any non residents). You also have several other schools that are unrealistic with your GPAs. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
California University
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
TCU
NOVA MD
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont (when it opens)
You have a good DO list.
Thank you so much Faha, this school list and feedback is so so so so so helpful!!!!

How recently did you do this community service, and is this ongoing? The way this was phrased was this was during your time at a CC, yet you are doing a gap, so I don't know what you've done lately.

How recently did you do this community service, and is this ongoing? The way this was phrased was this was during your time at a CC, yet you are doing a gap, so I don't know what you've done lately.
CC Community Service was not recent at all tbh, Did it throughout 2018-2020 then transferred. My volunteering/community service have not improved too much besides volunteering in patient care at orthopedic hospital. I definitely think my lack of research and volunteering coupled with my GPA is really going to hurt me. Currently debating whether to take another year off and work on my app or do a post bacc to help my GPA.