3.49cgpa 3.47sgpa chemical engineer two gap years DO, WAMC, 503 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sussieQ2005

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking mcat in the spring to reapply in summer 2020. I was applying this past cycle but my dad passed away and I didn't have enough money so I was careless and did not take the time to do it well. It sucks because I will be seen as a re-applicant.

My experience:

-I worked as a research assistance for 7 months full time at UPMC
-Was a d1 runner for a year and a half in college
-volunteered 100 hours as a GOTR coach
-shadowed do for 10 hours and MD for 70
-worked 100 hours as a cna
now working as a chemical engineer to make money, am going to study to take mcat again (as it will expire because took it in 7/2018 and I am not looking to start med school until fall 2021). I hope to get a 506 at least, unfortunately this will be my third time taking it. However I am studying after work for 10 months this time.
-I will also shadow DO and volunteer during the next year and a half.
I only applied to PCOM and CCOM previously (PCOM my letters of rec were not all sent in, CCOM I never completed the secondaries). However I think it is seen as both schools denied me. Can I reapply to them? Where should I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

1st MCAT Score: 498
2nd: 503 (studied for 2-3 months)
3rd: started studying July 23rd 2019 and will take it in May 2020, hope to do much better.

state residency: PA

Members don't see this ad :)
If your MCAT is 500 or higher you could receive interviews at the majority of DO schools. 508 or higher and you could receive MD interviews also and you would be competitive for all DO schools. Post your scores here next year when available and I can advise you on schools to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, Faha, I will. I really appreciate your insight.

If your MCAT is 500 or higher you could receive interviews at the majority of DO schools. 508 or higher and you could receive MD interviews also and you would be competitive for all DO schools. Post your scores here next year when available and I can advise you on schools to apply to.

Hi Faha,

I am disappointed that after a year of studying I sat for the exam on 6/27/2020 and received a 503 (125/126/127/125).
Frustrating because I got a 515 on a practice AAMC test in March 2020, I also received a 501 on a shortened Next Step mcat in May 2020 so my scores were all over the place. But it is what it is and I do not think retaking the MCAT would be worthwhile.

Since last post:

I took an engineering research job working on vaccine manufacturing for a contractor at Merck in 2019.
I became a manager (leadership experience) at my engineering/research job in March 2020.
I have volunteered delivering groceries at nearby community center and through Shopping Angels during Covid (April 2020- present)
I had been volunteer teaching engineering to students in underprivileged area in Philly from 11/2019-Covid started.

I have finished DO applications at:
Rowan
PCOM (both sites)
NYITCOM
CCOM (would love to move to IL as family there)

Have finished DO primary at 15 other DO schools, going to try to finish secondaries as soon as possible.

I have my MD app processed but don't think should finish applying.

WAMC at DO schools? Are there any DO schools in particular I should apply to? I feel so upset I practiced for a year and didn't improve. But, life goes on. Any advice you have helps!

Thank you.

Finished DO primary app at:
MSUCOM
CCOM (finished secondary)
Ohio
Pacific Northwest
PCOM (finished secondary--both)
Rowan (finished secondary)
Western University
WVSOM
Campbell U
VCOM
NYITCOM (finished secondary)
Burrell
Idaho
LECOM

Planning to Finish DO primary app at:
California Health Science University COM
UNECOM
Des Moines
Touro
Utah
Rocky Mountain

Schools such as MSUCOM, Ohio accept few non residents. You could add these schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM

Reactions: 1 user
Schools such as MSUCOM, Ohio accept few non residents. You could add these schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
Thank you for the help!

UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
Hi Faha, I saw some schools in Michigan that accepted average MCAT scores of 504 for accepted out of state applicants. Is this true, would you recommend I apply to any MD schools?

Hi Faha, I saw some schools in Michigan that accepted average MCAT scores of 504 for accepted out of state applicants. Is this true, would you recommend I apply to any MD schools?
No, those tend to be applicants who attended the undergraduate school, former residents, URM, legacies, etc.

How’s your cycle going so far?

How’s your cycle going so far?

Hi, it is going ok I think. I have not had any Interview requests but I think LECOM is the only school I applied to that sent some out. LECOM was tricky because the secondary went to my spam folder and got deleted, so I had to email the school to get the secondary which cost me over a month in time. I hope to get a second round of Interviews but we will see.

Completed Application (with confirmation):
CCOM
RowanSom
WVSOM
LECOM (all campuses)
NYITCOM (all campuses)

Completed Application but waiting for confirmation:
PCOM (waiting for them to change my letter designation, have contacted them about this and told they would) (all campuses)
UNECOM
PNWU-COM
RVUCOM (both campuses)
VCOM (all campuses)

Schools Planning to Work On:
Western U (know has high average MCAT)
Burrell
Tuoro
Campbell

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions! I am trying to stay on top of the SDN message boards for each school I have applied to to see where the school is in the process. From the message boards it seems like the schools are moving slower than previous years. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Quick question--Am I completing these secondaries too slowly? I wanted to have them all done by August, but as you can see I am a little behind.

Thanks!

No, those tend to be applicants who attended the undergraduate school, former residents, URM, legacies, etc.
What are your thoughts about ICOM? Received an interview there.