3.4c 3.3s 31MCAT URM Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phillips91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am an URM (A.A) and will be applying next cycle, right when application opens up.

3.4c
3.3s
31 MCAT 11/10/10
average EC's

I will be applying to all Texas MD schools. Do you think i should apply to some OOS schools as well? DO schools too? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers look good for TX as is, especially with URM. So what are your reasons for wanting to apply OOS?
  • If it's 'safety', you're unlikely to need it unless your GPA crumbles this year.
  • If it's aspirational, then aim high. Where would you really like to go where your GPA/MCAT falls over the 10% mark? And would you be willing to pay the extra $40,000 per year (yeah, really) if the OOS doesn't give you a nice fat scholarship? Apply there.
If there is not such place (worth $40K more to you) then save your money, save your time, take a deep breath and try not to let yourself get neurotic about the relatively small number of schools you're applying to. Try to do some site visits this year to really get a feel for the schools, cities, current students, missions, etc. Just do everything you can to maximize your attractiveness to those you like best.

And learn Spanish :cool:

Thanks alot! I was worried that my stats were a little low for TX schools even though i'm a resident (and URM) that's why i asked if I should apply to OOS schools, just to be broad enough.

Anyone else? What are my chances?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on numbers alone, AAMC is saying that you have about a 87-94% chance of getting into a MD school. I would say you should apply where you want to go to school! You have an excellent chance of getting into many schools. You may want to apply to a few OOS friendly schools just to be safe.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf

I have essentially the same stats but not URM. 3 IIs. Two in TX. Considering you are URM I think you have a great chance

If you don't get accepted to a TX MD school, it won't be because of your numbers OP. They're 'good enough' - period. And when URM is factored in, that bumps them up to 'more than good enough.'

So focus on the other aspects of your applications: Clinical exposure to show you know what you're getting into, volunteering to show altruism, leadership. Those will make the difference between El Paso/Lubbock and UTSW/Baylor.

Reactions: 1 user