3.4s/3.6c, 508, help w/ MD and DO school lists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momentaryaffliction

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi thank you for stopping by- really appreciate it. Currently on 2 MD wait-lists, and planning on the re-application.
  • 3.4s/3.6c, 508 MCAT
  • CA res
  • graduated 2016 from "high-ranked" public university
  • Clinical volunteering (~700hr) : 1.5 yr public county hospital, 1 yr internship with NCAA Football Team
  • Clinical employment (>3000hr): 2 yrs at ortho clinic scribing, MA'ing, admin
  • Research: ~2 yr
  • Undergrad peer advisor: 1 yr
  • Church - 4 yr campus club, 1.5 yr post-grad volunteer staff, 0.5 yr youth teacher to underresourced church nearby
  • Church - praise band
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 2 foreign mission trips (2 wks each)
I know my MCAT score is a bit weak for MD--and likely the weakness of my application--but I am not in a position to re-take. So, I'm rolling with my stats, and focusing what I can change, which is my application + possible EC's.

What I'll be doing this yr
- looking for new job - MA or scribe in different specialty vs. clinical research
- looking for volunteering opportunities -- want to work with refugees, homeless, and/or low SES
- continuing church activities - youth teacher to local underresourced church, praise band
- shadowing opportunity for DO + letter

1. MD
  • This past cycle, I applied broadly to 30 schools, rcvd 2 II, and am on 2 WLs.
  • This coming cycle, I'm thinking of applying to ~10 low-mid tier MD schools that I haven't applied to. This will likely include new schools like Kaiser, the new Cali school, Seton, OOS schools which take high # OOS. Would appreciate help w/ new MD school list.
  • Polishing my PS and Activities sections
2. DO
  • I need help with DO app - curious about how my app matches up - WAMC?
  • Help with school list - am I competitive for Touro(CA), Western, Chicago, Philly, Philly GA campus? (church ties in these cities)
  • How many should I apply to?
In summary, asking help for:
- New MD list
- DO - WAMC?
- DO - school list
- DO - how many to apply
- any recommendations for helping my application.

Thanks so much.
If I could ask for your input @Goro @gyngyn I would be most grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi thank you for stopping by- really appreciate it. Currently on 2 MD wait-lists, and planning on the re-application.
  • 3.4s/3.6c, 508 MCAT
  • graduated 2016 from "high-ranked" public university
  • Clinical volunteering (~700hr) : 1.5 yr public county hospital, 1 yr internship with NCAA Football Team
  • Clinical employment (>3000hr): 2 yrs at ortho clinic scribing, MA'ing, admin
  • Research: ~2 yr
  • Undergrad peer advisor: 1 yr
  • Church - 4 yr campus club, 1.5 yr post-grad volunteer staff, 0.5 yr youth teacher to underresourced church nearby
  • Church - praise band
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 2 foreign mission trips (2 wks each)
I know my MCAT score is a bit weak for MD--and likely the weakness of my application--but I am not in a position to re-take. So, I'm rolling with my stats, and focusing what I can change, which is my application + possible EC's.

What I'll be doing this yr
- looking for new job - MA or scribe in different specialty vs. clinical research
- looking for volunteering opportunities -- want to work with refugees, homeless, and/or low SES
- continuing church activities - youth teacher to local underresourced church, praise band
- shadowing opportunity for DO + letter

1. MD
  • This past cycle, I applied broadly to 30 schools, rcvd 2 II, and am on 2 WLs.
  • This coming cycle, I'm thinking of applying to ~10 low-mid tier MD schools that I haven't applied to. This will likely include new schools like Kaiser, the new Cali school, Seton, OOS schools which take high # OOS. Would appreciate help w/ new MD school list.
  • Polishing my PS and Activities sections
2. DO
  • I need help with DO app - curious about how my app matches up - WAMC?
  • Help with school list - am I competitive for Touro(CA), Western, Chicago, Philly, Philly GA campus? (church ties in these cities)
  • How many should I apply to?
In summary, asking help for:
- New MD list
- DO - WAMC?
- DO - school list
- DO - how many to apply
- any recommendations for helping my application.

Thanks so much.
If I could ask for your input @Goro @gyngyn I would be most grateful.

Your're fine for ANY DO school, including mine. MD chances are a bit harder, but with a strategic list, well, you've already had IIs! Note: Kaiser MD is not yet taking apps, AFAIK. If you're not from CA, I'd skip CUSM. Go for Seton Hall and NovaMD.

Reactions: 1 user
Your're fine for ANY DO school, including mine. MD chances are a bit harder, but with a strategic list, well, you've already had IIs! Note: Kaiser MD is not yet taking apps, AFAIK. If you're not from CA, I'd skip CUSM. Go for Seton Hall and NovaMD.

Thanks for your input, @Goro! I am from CA.
Will put Seton & NovaMD on my list. Would you recommend re-applying to the 2 schools I am currently wait-listed at?

EDIT: Also wondering how many DO schools I should be applying to.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input, @Goro! I am from CA.
Will put Seton & NovaMD on my list. Would you recommend re-applying to the 2 schools I am currently wait-listed at?

EDIT: Also wondering how many DO schools I should be applying to.
Add CUSM to the list, and the following DO:

Both Westerns
AZCOM
TUNCOM
Touro-CA
PacNW
BCOM
UIW
RVU (CO only)
PCOM
MUCOM
CCOM
DMU
NYITCOM

Reapply to the schools you had II at ONLY if you have improved since hte lats cycle, because they'll be sure ot ask you "How have you improved!"

And rewrite all essays. Have multiple eyeballs vet them.

Work on interview skills as well.

Add CUSM to the list, and the following DO:

Both Westerns
AZCOM
TUNCOM
Touro-CA
PacNW
BCOM
UIW
RVU (CO only)
PCOM
MUCOM
CCOM
DMU
NYITCOM

Reapply to the schools you had II at ONLY if you have improved since hte lats cycle, because they'll be sure ot ask you "How have you improved!"

And rewrite all essays. Have multiple eyeballs vet them.

Work on interview skills as well.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your input.

@Faha , word on the street is that you know a thing about creating re-application lists for MD schools. Do you have any suggestions for me? This was my list last year.

Albany Medical College
George Washington University
Georgetown
Loma Linda University
Loyola University Chicago
Oakland University (Beaumont)
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
The Commonwealth Medical College (Geisinger)
Tufts
UC Davis
UCI
UCLA
UCR
UC San Diego
University of Minnesota
USC
UCSF
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wake Forest (NC)
West Virginia University
Quinnipac (Frank H Netter)
UMass
Drexel
Jefferson
NYMC
Temple
UNC
Wright State
Penn State

Apply to all the DO schools that @Goro recommended. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
California University (new school)
Kaiser ( when if opens )
Loma Linda
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
St.Louis
Creighton
Also apply to the 2 schools where you are on the wait list.

Apply to all the DO schools that @Goro recommended. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
California University (new school)
Kaiser ( when if opens )
Loma Linda
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
St.Louis
Creighton
Also apply to the 2 schools where you are on the wait list.

Thank you! Really appreciate your help. :)

Scores and GPA are low for university of Minnesota being out of state, but it sounds like otherwise you’re pretty well rounded. But people ending up there from OOS and out of the region is low... I would take a bit more time to think about them, and look at amount of OOS people going to a lot of your MD list schools.

Scores and GPA are low for university of Minnesota being out of state, but it sounds like otherwise you’re pretty well rounded. But people ending up there from OOS and out of the region is low... I would take a bit more time to think about them, and look at amount of OOS people going to a lot of your MD list schools.

Thanks for your input! There were a couple schools on there that I have personal connections with, UMinn being one of them. I knew some of them were a shot in the dark.. but, hey, one of those schools is one that I'm WL'd at.
Crossing my fingers for this cycle.

Hi! Just wanted to close out this thread by saying thank you to everyone who gave input. I was accepted at a Cali DO school and have submitted my deposit. Thank you for your support and encouragement! :) @Faha @Goro

(for the record, applied to about 9 DO schools / 20 MD schools.)

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! Just wanted to close out this thread by saying thank you to everyone who gave input. I was accepted at a Cali DO school and have submitted my deposit. Thank you for your support and encouragement! :) @Faha @Goro

(for the record, applied to about 9 DO schools / 20 MD schools.)
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: