Confusing feedback on W/A descriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1129372

I recently got feedback from a current med student that my descriptions of my current and previous careers read as “too fulfilling” and that they might make someone question why I wouldn’t want to do those things instead of medicine.

What is the purpose of the W/A section? Does a career changer need to make additional considerations? I have shadowing, clinical experiences, and lots of service to lots of different people. When relevant, I tied things to why medicine, but overall I tried to demonstrate the core competencies in my descriptions. If my PS is meant to demonstrate my motivation for pursuing medicine and medical schools ask what they want to know in their secondaries, what should I focus on in the W/A section?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask 5 different adcom faculty, you will probably get 10 different answers.

My philosophy is that you need to treat it like you would a functional resume. Describe each activity factually but like you would describe it in a resume (brief CARS format), minimal reflection. Your most meaningful essays should highlight your ability to give weight and reflection on activities that highlight your preparation for a health professional career... and if you will your assessment of mastery of key entering competencies. That said, not everyone will read your activities like this, but we are usually looking for a paragraph of description of your work or activity (not a bullet list, not a self-reflection).

So you are probably okay.

Reactions: 1 user
What you are doing is fine. A medical student is not, in my opinion, the expert on what to write. If your experiences informed hour journey to medicine, explain how—but not every job or experience is related to medicine and that is perfectly okay. Personally, I would prefer to see an application from someone who enjoyed their previous employment but thinks medicine would be even more fulfilling, than to see an applicant who seems disgruntled or dissatisfied with their current situation.

Reactions: 2 users
What you are doing is fine. A medical student is not, in my opinion, the expert on what to write. If your experiences informed hour journey to medicine, explain how—but not every job or experience is related to medicine and that is perfectly okay. Personally, I would prefer to see an application from someone who enjoyed their previous employment but thinks medicine would be even more fulfilling, than to see an applicant who seems disgruntled or dissatisfied with their current situation.
Thank you. This makes sense to me.