3.5+ c/sGPA, but with 6C's in prereqs Chances plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Am i f***ed?

• Total voters

calipremedgirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Key stats:
ORM (East Asian Male) in CA, from a UC
c/sGPA: 3.5+
MCAT: not taken yet
Received 7 C's -> 6 in key prereqs (bio/chem/phys) + 1 C in random class (greek history or something) (plenty of Bs too)
Reason: didn't want to be a doctor back then, so didn't try at all in classes + and i guess immaturity/lack of experience/etc. (The C's were a good 2 years ago, if that helps -> been on an upward trend of 3.9+ for the last two years in upper div sciences)

Not applying this cycle!!

Based on stats alone, I know a 3.5 isn't the end of the world, but will my stupid amount of C's in big science classes cause MD adcoms to immediately throw out my app no matter how much improvement ive shown? @Goro @LizzyM @Catalystik @anyone @gyngyn @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
its going to be a pretty big issue because regardless of whether it was just an immaturity issue, you haven't proved that you can succeed in science classes which is all medical school is, except on steroids

you don't have an MCAT either so that will also determine whether you are dead in the water for MD.

with that being said, your gpa is decent. my advice would be to do a post bacc and get a string of good grades in upper level science classes. that will also get your gpa up to an even better position, and if you do well on your mcat you should be fine

for DO? you might be fine now as long as your mcat is decent. i dont really know. goro will help you there

If you have 7Cs and still have over a 3.5 cGPA/sGPA that's actually pretty impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes agreed lol. was wondering how you managed that ?

ive never had problems with science classes lol - just went through an identity crisis so i stopped caring about my future hence the grades dropped

ive never had problems with science classes lol - just went through an identity crisis so i stopped caring about my future hence the grades dropped

So you have a near 4.0 everywhere else? Otherwise your GPA would certainly be lower than 3.5 lol

So you have a near 4.0 everywhere else? Otherwise your GPA would certainly be lower than 3.5 lol

Yeah 3.9+ in several max unit semesters. Like I said those bad grades were purely because I didn't give a flying fck about grades at that time - now I'm suffering for that. But for how long is the real question here... I don't mind spending a few years uselessly shoving my GPA up, but I thought my 2 years with upward trend fit Goros reinvention criteria...

Yeah 3.9+ in several max unit semesters. Like I said those bad grades were purely because I didn't give a flying fck about grades at that time - now I'm suffering for that. But for how long is the real question here... I don't mind spending a few years uselessly shoving my GPA up, but I thought my 2 years with upward trend fit Goros reinvention criteria...

it may, but because they were the pre requisities the story may be tricky. we will wait for their opinions

Anyone else have input? already have 3 votes saying its over... not feeling too optimistic right about now :( no reason i should, but still...

I suggest a post bac. Keeping a 3.5 is good considering the C's you got. Could you maybe retake those courses? You wanna show you can handle them. May even be a taking point during your interview, your identity crisis, how you retook them etc. @Goro

How were your upper division science grades? How many upper div science courses did you take?

A weak start with an upward trend in upper div sciences and a 3.5 is fine provided you do well on the MCAT. As of right now 505+ and you'd likely get several DO interviews, 510+ and you'll get some MD nibbles. Unfortunately you're in CA, so your state schools aren't much help.

How were your upper division science grades? How many upper div science courses did you take?

A weak start with an upward trend in upper div sciences and a 3.5 is fine provided you do well on the MCAT. As of right now 505+ and you'd likely get several DO interviews, 510+ and you'll get some MD nibbles. Unfortunately you're in CA, so your state schools aren't much help.

Mostly A's - one or two A-'s - about 100+ semester credits worth. I agree, MCAT is key - hopefully a high score can offset any doubts.