3.5 undergrad GPA, 4.0 Masters GPA, 30 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nabber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances and where would i be competitive? Im retaking the MCAT in june but as of now i have a 3.5 undergrad GPA, a 4.0 in my masters (global health), and a 30 mcat (only taken once). Lots of volunteer experience at home and abroad, research, published papers, etc.... thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are my chances and where would i be competitive? Im retaking the MCAT in june but as of now i have a 3.5 undergrad GPA, a 4.0 in my masters (global health), and a 30 mcat (only taken once). Lots of volunteer experience at home and abroad, research, published papers, etc.... thanks! :thumbup:
The masters GPA, being short on hard science, isn't going to help you much.

Download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort from 5/11), so you can fill in your 3.5/30 stats, and it will tell you for which US med schools you're competitive.

Next look at the sheet's in-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school, removing any from your list that take more than 85% in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Then look up the mission statement of each, and be sure your ECs are a "fit" for the school. If you have one summer of research and no leadership, then consider going light on research-oriented schools, for example. If you have no nonmedical community service to the poor, then avoid schools with a humanitarian mission.

Once you have a list, check out other factors that you care about: curriculum type, grading policy, weather, safety of area, rural vs city, cost of living & cost of attending, jobs or schools for significant others, location of clinical sites, proximity to home, etc, and use those to prune the list to a manageable number.

Thanks for the reply! That spreadsheet is very helpful. I think my Masters was pretty science heavy... we took the first semester of medical school classes along with the med students so im hoping that gives me some kind of an advantage (having succeeded in medical school classes). Anyways thanks again ill definitely do some research on the schools as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! That spreadsheet is very helpful. I think my Masters was pretty science heavy... we took the first semester of medical school classes along with the med students so im hoping that gives me some kind of an advantage (having succeeded in medical school classes). Anyways thanks again ill definitely do some research on the schools as well!
If your grad program resulted in a BCPM GPA, not just a cGPA, it can help at some schools.

If your grad program resulted in a BCPM GPA, not just a cGPA, it can help at some schools.

To clarify, I know a masters degree isn't looked at the same because of the grade inflation assumption but do you mean if the classes fall under BCPM it should help? For example, I'm getting a masters in Neuroscience and all of my classes fall under biology. I know that won't impact my undergrad cGPA but would it change my sGPA? Thanks.

To clarify, do you mean if the classes fall under BCPM it should help? For example, I'm getting a masters in Neuroscience and all of my classes fall under biology. I know that won't impact my undergrad cGPA but would it change my sGPA? Thanks.
It might help. Some, not most, med schools will consider the grad BCPM.