3.5 vs 3.5EF loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeagueofLigTies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2.5 mag loupes now, but I can barely see anything so I’m considering upgrading to 3.5 as I’ve heard that’s the number to be at. In order to keep the frames I have, which I really like, I can only get a regular 3.5 telescope. Is the expanded field really that worth the price ($600) and the change in frames? Brand is designs 4 vision

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first pair I bought in school was 3.5EF. Had to send them in for repair within a year, and was given a 2.5 as a loaner. Really felt the difference in weight and loved it. Couldn’t return the 3.5EF due to past return date, so I bought a 3.5 galilean and it’s still what I use today.
I hate when my 3.5’s are out of commission and I have to pull out the 3.5EF as a back up. They’re way too heavy and it’s really not worth the weight.
If I could go back in time, I probably would have gotten 3.5 Galilean as my first pair, and purchased 4.5EF (since 4.5 cannot come in Galilean lenses) before graduation to use in some cases.

Reactions: 1 users
My first pair I bought in school was 3.5EF. Had to send them in for repair within a year, and was given a 2.5 as a loaner. Really felt the difference in weight and loved it. Couldn’t return the 3.5EF due to past return date, so I bought a 3.5 galilean and it’s still what I use today.
I hate when my 3.5’s are out of commission and I have to pull out the 3.5EF as a back up. They’re way too heavy and it’s really not worth the weight.
If I could go back in time, I probably would have gotten 3.5 Galilean as my first pair, and purchased 4.5EF (since 4.5 cannot come Galilean lenses) before graduation to use in some cases.
Thank you so much! I’m definitely going to try on a few different mags. I was just afraid the field of view for 3.5 would be too small.