3.54 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, Grad School Dropout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowDidIGetHere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time posting for the 2014 app cycle.

cGPA: 3.54
sGPA; 3.35
MCAT: not taken

Was in a Chemistry PhD program and withdrew the first semester due to father's illness and figuring out that I wanted actual patient interaction, instead of just making compounds that would never become actual drugs for patients. Was researching on the opioid pathways, because I am greatly interested in drug addiction from having to deal with friends/family that struggle everyday with this. I want to go into a psych residency and then hopefully an addiction fellowship.

ECs:
Worked as a pharmacy technician, saw drug addiction first hand, i.e. customers coming in only for opiates and needles. Worked as a medical technologist for a drug testing company, aliquoting urine samples.

Undergrad: Full-tuition scholarship
Volunteer Service Coordinator for Scholarship club for 1 year
No shadowing yet

Are my EC's too weak, as well as being a dropout for schools like RVU, AZCOM, PCOM, etc?

Thanks for the advice

Members don't see this ad.

sGPA; 3.35

Was in a Chemistry PhD program and withdrew the first semester due to father's illness and figuring out that I wanted actual patient interaction, instead of just making compounds that would never become actual drugs for patients. Was researching on the opioid pathways, because I am greatly interested in drug addiction from having to deal with friends/family that struggle everyday with this. I want to go into a psych residency and then hopefully an addiction fellowship.

ECs:
Worked as a pharmacy technician, saw drug addiction first hand, i.e. customers coming in only for opiates and needles. Worked as a medical technologist for a drug testing company, aliquoting urine samples.

No shadowing yet

Are my EC's too weak, as well as being a dropout for schools like RVU, AZCOM, PCOM, etc?

Thanks for the advice
I'd suggest you engage in a regular, hands-on activity that helps those in need. Considering your interests, that might be a volunteer position in a needle exchange, mens or womans shelter, or crisis hotline. Further, you need a broader patient experience than a pharm tech experiences. You might look into volunteering or work in a hospice, skilled-level nursing home, hospital, rehab center, or clinic, as examples, where you engage sick people in a helpful way.

Your leadership looks fine.

Strongly suggest getting your patient contact and shadowing experience in now.Your GPAs are fine.
I find the dropping out of grad school a bit worrisome, so you're going to have to explain it as well as you did here, if not better. The worry from any AdCom standpoint is suppose that you find that Medicine isn't the big thing you sought after all? Then what?

sGPA; 3.35

ECs:

No shadowing yet

Thanks for the advice