3.54 GPA need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Shady

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current stats:
3.54 cGPA, 3.23 sGPA
MCAT score: have not received score yet, but based on recent practice exams 503-508
URM: African American Biology major
Strong LORs
Arkansas resident

ECs:
450+ hours of volunteering for various programs such as food pantry program, meals on wheels program, local church, and other community events and activities.

50 hours shadowing a family medicine doctor.

Highly involved in my school's organizations which are marching and concert bands, music ensembles ranging from choir to orchestra to marching band, biology club, and two academic honor clubs.

Have played percussion for 10 years. Currently playing in the band at the school I'm attending.

70+ hours on Small World Initiative research project. A research paper and a presentation of the results were done as well last semester. Currently working on research that is similar to the project last semester.

Mentor to younger students in my community, at my church, and school.

Principal of wind ensemble and concert band, and one of the section leaders of the drum line.

Scholarships/awards:
outstanding music major, outstanding percussionist in marching band, outstanding marching band member, dean's list, honor roll 4 semesters, book loan program winner, and scholarship awards.

School list:
Baylor
Drexel
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Rush
Tulane
UAMS
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
U of Toledo
Vanderbilt

What other schools should I apply to? Which school should I drop from my list based on GPA and OOS friendliness?

Members don't see this ad.

Current stats:
3.54 cGPA, 3.23 sGPA
MCAT score: have not received score yet, but based on recent practice exams 503-508
Strong LORs
Arkansas resident

ECs:
450+ hours of volunteering for various programs such as food pantry program, meals on wheels program, local church, and other community events and activities.

Highly involved in my school's organizations which are marching and concert bands, music ensembles ranging from choir to orchestra to marching band, biology club, and two academic honor clubs.

Have played percussion for 10 years. Currently playing in the band at the school I'm attending.

70+ hours on Small World Initiative research project. A research paper and a presentation of the results were done as well last semester. Currently working on research that is similar to the project last semester.

Principal of wind ensemble and concert band, and one of the section leaders of the drum line.

Scholarships/awards:
outstanding music major, outstanding percussionist in marching band, outstanding marching band member, dean's list, honor roll 4 semesters, book loan program winner, and scholarship awards.

School list:
Baylor
Drexel
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Rush
Tulane
UAMS
U of Toledo
Vanderbilt

What other schools should I apply to? Which school should I drop from my list based on GPA and OOS friendliness?

Come back when you have an MCAT score. But HBMC's and U of Arkansas(which interviews a very high proportion of IS applicants) are far and away where your odds will be best at. Other lower tier OOS schools could also be an option in play here(although I'd be hesitant to recommend these low yield schools like Drexel/G-town/GW and OOS schools like Toledo and Tennessee which have pretty strong IS bias). By and large though I think you'll be fine with a solid list and a 505 type score.

Add UCLA Drew and every state school surrounding your home state!

Current stats:
3.54 cGPA, 3.23 sGPA
Strong LORs
Arkansas resident

ECs:

Scholarships/awards:

School list:
Baylor
Drexel
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Rush
Tulane
UAMS
U of Toledo
Vanderbilt