3.54 uGPA, 3.54 sGPA, 32P MCAT: Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xlr8er

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I would very much like any advice you have to offer if that is alright.

MCAT: 8V 12P 12B P

I am a fourth year student just about to graduate from a university, and I currently have a 3.12 uGPA accoriding to my previous AMSAS application. I have applied to 10 Medical schools in the US and have been rejected from all of them with no offer of an interview. Unfortuately I did not apply to the DO program this cycle. I have had a very poor sophmore year due to personal reasons, but I do have a smattering of bad grades across the board (1 C in my 3rd and 4th year).

I have retaken 9 classes during my undergraduate career and saw marked improvement in all of those classes, giving me a caluclated AACOMAS gpa (when I only consider the retakes) of 3.54 uGPA and 3.54sGPA.

I have a few high level E.C such as academic research for 3 years (no publications though), Vice presiendial positions in a few university clubs and societies, as well as an elected Board of Directors/Board Chairman on my student union for a year. I have not worked in a hospital, but this coming May I will begin shadowing a doctor for a period of time.

My question is do I have the credentials to make it into a DO program, or should I go to graduate school, considering that I have received a few PhD and Ms offers from a few schools. I want to be a doctor more than anything else in the world. My greatest fear though is that I look back and in 5 years realize that I accomplished nothing trying to apply over and over again when I could have taken these opportunities placed in front of me and achieved something.

Thank you very much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I would very much like any advice you have to offer if that is alright.

MCAT: 8V 12P 12B P

I am a fourth year chemistry student just about to graduate from a Canadian university (I am an American Perminant resident/Green card holder and currently live in the states), and I currently have a 3.12 uGPA accoriding to my previous AMSAS application. I have applied to 10 Medical schools in the US and have been rejected from all of them with no offer of an interview. Unfortuately I did not apply to the DO program this cycle. I have had a very poor sophmore year due to personal reasons, but I do have a smattering of bad grades across the board (1 C in my 3rd and 4th year).

*Edit- I should include that I am african american and a Michigan Resident if that helps

I have retaken 9 classes during my undergraduate career and saw marked improvement in all of those classes, giving me a caluclated AACOMAS gpa (when I only consider the retakes) of 3.54 uGPA and 3.54sGPA.

I have a few high level E.C such as academic research for 3 years (no publications though), Vice presiendial positions in a few university clubs and societies, as well as an elected Board of Directors/Board Chairman on my student union for a year. I have not worked in a hospital, but this coming May I will begin shadowing a doctor for a period of time.

My question is do I have the credentials to make it into a DO program, or should I go to graduate school, considering that I have received a few PhD and Ms offers from a few schools. I want to be a doctor more than anything else in the world. My greatest fear though is that I look back and in 5 years realize that I accomplished nothing trying to apply over and over again when I could have taken these opportunities placed in front of me and achieved something.

Thank you very much for your time.

You are competitive at all DO schools.