3.55 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travellingpotato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I was just wondering what my chances would be with a 3.55 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 518 mcat from a relatively competitive state school (talked to some med school deans and they said they know about our grade deflation). Doing a gap year working as a medical scribe.
ECs: EMT (2000+ hours), peer mentor for pre-med first year students, resident assistant, career advisor, 6 semesters of research, 3 publications, shadowing every winter and summer break at Columbia Univ Medical Center ever since senior year of high school.
My problem is that my first two years were pretty bad (mostly Cs in my intro classes), but I pretty much got 4.0s the rest of the semesters in which I took more advanced classes. I really want to do MD, but I would like to know my chances for both MD and DO. Another one of my concerns is should I try and do a masters because of my GPA. I'm not sure if my 518 mcat is good enough to make a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

With an upward trend, you will probably get some bites. I have relatively similar stats (started with 3.0 for freshman year and then 3.8+ for rest) and schools have asked about my GPA trend in my interviews. Make sure you can articulate mature answers when you get asked what went astray your freshman year.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you think a 518 MCAT is not “good enough?”

Members don't see this ad :)
A 518 will open many doors for you. You should not be concerned about getting interviews. Apply to all your state schools and some others that you would like to go to. Btw, a 518 is like 97th percentile so why the hell would you think it's not good enough?

A 518 will open many doors for you. You should not be concerned about getting interviews. Apply to all your state schools and some others that you would like to go to. Btw, a 518 is like 97th percentile so why the hell would you think it's not good enough?
Why do you think a 518 MCAT is not “good enough?”
I know the mcat score is good. I'm just worried about the Cs I have in my classes. I started with really bad grades so I was not sure if the mcat can somehow make up for it.

a 518 MCAT is a phenomenal and highly coveted MCAT score. Well done. With an upward trend in grades you should see some acceptances to medical school whether it be MD or DO. For DO, you should net acceptances pretty much anywhere. Are you URM?

Last edited:
If you've been doing ~3.7 or better the last two years, you should have a solid chance at those medical schools that reward reinvention.

Reactions: 1 users
a 518 MCAT is a phenomenal and highly coveted MCAT score. Well done. With an upward trend in grades you should see some acceptances to medical school whether it be MD or DO. For DO, you should net acceptances pretty much anywhere. Are you URM?
Hi. Moved here from Eastern Europe when I was 17. I do not know if that counts as URM but struggled a bunch with adapting to the school system here.

New Jersey
I suggest all these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Albany
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Einstein
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.