3.58 cGPA 3.58 sGPA 30Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanasme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PA resident with over 1,000 hours of clinical work (EMT), but no research... also, 10 on all three sections of the MCAT... what are my chance?

Members don't see this ad.

About 300 hours of my clinical work are volunteer hours... I volunteered for my university's EMS program (in a leadership position). I don't have any shadowing experience, but I'm looking in to that right now. I'm applying next year so I have some time, but I really want to do everything I can to strengthen my application due to the fact that my numbers are are little low, but still reasonable. Any other suggestions? (I don't think research is an option because I've graduated and I'm not near any big research centers)

Edit: I'm a History major and French minor... will having an untraditional major help/hurt/not matter? Also, I graduated in 3 years vs. the traditional 4... will this help/hurt/not matter?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Med schools don't care about your major, though privately I think you're more likely to stand out among all of us bio-major types. Graduating early is also a nonissue so long as your application reflects maturity, good decision making and time management, and you have the same ECs as those who had an extra year to acquire them. Your clinical experience really stands out. Since you don't have research, you'll want to shine in another area as well, like community service or leadership.