3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 511 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heroes23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm going to be applying this cycle and here are my stats. 3.6 cGPA and 3.5sGPA, (I've kept my GPA consistent all through my 3 years in undergraduate studies), I've been scoring a 511 on my practice MCAT exams and will take it May 20th , I would guess the 32-33 MCAT range for comparison.

I also have 3 years of sports, (including summer routines), while in college winning a couple championships and medals for my team during college, (been doing sports since freshman year of high school so 7 years total) , 3 semesters of chemical research with two publications of posters and presentations. 1,129 hours of shadowing between two doctors, (combined clinic and OR hours with work involved in those hours, more of clinical hours than OR). 50 hours of volunteering at orphanage facility, (for one summer twice a week).

I have four letters of recommendation from my school's science committee, sports head coach, religions professor, and one of the doctor's I shadowed.

I am from Chicago, 20 year old, Male, Asian ethnicity. will apply instate and out of state.

My questions are: 1) What are my chances with MD schools? I know I'm no where as competitive as Harvard, but maybe schools with my MCAT score range and GPA range. 2) If I send my applications and then my MCAT score will later come in around June 20th, will that put me late in the cycle and possibly keep me out of all MD schools for this year? 3) Are my EC's good enough? Even though my "official" application won't be available until late June, will these stats get me a seat? I will be sending in my application June 1st without my MCAT but when I receive my MCAT score on June 21st, it will automatically be sent in. My counselor told me medical schools don't look at applications until late June anyway. Is that true?

Please let me know! Good luck to everyone this cycle! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be applying this cycle and here are my stats. 3.6 cGPA and 3.5sGPA, (I've kept my GPA consistent all through my 3 years in undergraduate studies), I've been scoring a 511 on my practice MCAT exams and will take it May 20th , I would guess the 32-33 MCAT range for comparison.

I also have 3 years of sports, (including summer routines), while in college winning a couple championships and medals for my team during college, (been doing sports since freshman year of high school so 7 years total) , 3 semesters of chemical research with two publications of posters and presentations. 1,129 hours of shadowing between two doctors, (combined clinic and OR hours with work involved in those hours, more of clinical hours than OR). 50 hours of volunteering at orphanage facility, (for one summer twice a week).

I have four letters of recommendation from my school's science committee, sports head coach, religions professor, and one of the doctor's I shadowed.

I am from Chicago, 20 year old, Male, Asian ethnicity. will apply instate and out of state.

My questions are: 1) What are my chances with MD schools? I know I'm no where as competitive as Harvard, but maybe schools with my MCAT score range and GPA range. 2) If I send my applications and then my MCAT score will later come in around June 20th, will that put me late in the cycle and possibly keep me out of all MD schools for this year? 3) Are my EC's good enough? Even though my "official" application won't be available until late June, will these stats get me a seat? I will be sending in my application June 1st without my MCAT but when I receive my MCAT score on June 21st, it will automatically be sent in. My counselor told me medical schools don't look at applications until late June anyway. Is that true?

Please let me know! Good luck to everyone this cycle! :)
You can submit your application before receiving your MCAT score. Schools will review it once it's there. Your MCAT score takes about a month.

No real comments on anything else other than to say what you score on the MCAT is a huge determinant of your competitiveness.

You can submit your application before receiving your MCAT score. Schools will review it once it's there. Your MCAT score takes about a month.

No real comments on anything else other than to say what you score on the MCAT is a huge determinant of your competitiveness.
Oh, and it sounds like you're very shadowing heavy and very light on volunteering. Volunteering is much more highly valued.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
everything looks good so far except your volunteering. only 50 hours over one summer is very minimal.

1) Apply broadly and check out MSAR for the GPA/MCAT 10th and 90th percentiles to help determine which schools to apply to. Try to add some more volunteering between now and when you submit your AMCAS primary.
2) You can submit your primary to be verified without your MCAT score as long as you designate at least one school to apply to (for now). The earliest AMCAS transmits primary applications to medical schools will be June 24th if I'm not mistaken. If you submit during the first week of June, your app should be verified by the time you get your MCAT score in mid-June. You'll have a few days before June 24th to designate the rest of your schools based on your MCAT score. This way, your app will still be amongst the first batch of apps received by medical schools.
3) 50 hours for one summer is on the low end, especially for schools like Rush which has an emphasis on community service.

Ok, I will try my best to do a lot volunteering before primaries. I was also looking into CA schools. Are they more likely to take people from out-of-state than in-state?

I was also looking into CA schools. Are they more likely to take people from out-of-state than in-state?
As far as UC's go, I've heard that UCLA, UCSF and UCD save 50% of seats for instate residents but not too sure about UCI and UCSD. UCR is a bit different and saves half of their seats for people from UCR undergrad with the rest being for students from the inland empire. Even then, vast majority of matriculants are from california.

If you're set on getting into california, you're best shot (in terms of stats/oos accepted) are probably: cal northstate, loma linda and UC Irvine

According to MSAR, Ca schools pretty much only accept Ca residents so out of state chances aren't great. I would apply broadly as mentioned but don't let any of your scores keep you from applying to a school you really want to go to because you never know! I took my MCAT in July so my score didn't show up until August so your timing shouldn't be an issue. Finally, I agree with the others - get some hands on experience! Good luck!