3.6 GPA, 27 MCAT, OH resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SBAKSHI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am an OH resident with 3.6 GPA and 27 MCAT (6V, 10B, 11P)
I already have signed up for the July 29 MCAT. I have learned a couple of things:
1. Kaplan strategy does not work for me. too time consuming, nothing out of it.
2. EK strategies are better. Do you guys have any suggestions on practice for verbal except 101 EK passages? I really want to improve this section.

So, should I still go ahead with my AMCAS primary application? If so, how should I chose the med schools? I was thinking I can base solely on in-state schools and those schools that send secondaries to ALL their applicants (not screen them for mcat, cuz its going to be a waste of time and money)
4. Can anyone read my personal statement and comment on that?
5. I feel like I have a strong LoR, activities and minority status. I also immigrated to this country in my senior year of HS (That may explain my low Verbal score!). English is my second language.
I really do not want and re-apply in the next year's cycle..
ANY advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

1. EK strategies are better. Do you guys have any suggestions on practice for verbal except 101 EK passages? I really want to improve this section.

You may want to look through the MCAT forums on SDN. They are better suited to answer MCAT related questions.

2. So, should I still go ahead with my AMCAS primary application? If so, how should I chose the med schools? I was thinking I can base solely on in-state schools and those schools that send secondaries to ALL their applicants (not screen them for mcat, cuz its going to be a waste of time and money)

Yes. If you plan on applying this cycle you should go ahead and submit your application as early as you can. You want to be verified before you get your score back. You need to have at least one school selected in order for your application to be verified. After you get your score back you can add more schools. I believe it takes one day for schools to receive your application after they have been added (double check this). If you mark that you are retaking the MCAT on your AMCAS application most schools will put your application on hold until they receive your new MCAT score.

Helpful tip: The secondary prompts for most schools will be posted on SDN. It is helpful to pre-write as many as you can so you can minimize the turn around time after receiving secondaries.

4. Can anyone read my personal statement and comment on that?

See Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List in the PA forums.

5. I feel like I have a strong LoR, activities and minority status. I also immigrated to this country in my senior year of HS (That may explain my low Verbal score!). English is my second language.
I really do not want and re-apply in the next year's cycle..
ANY advice is appreciated!

This was not really a question but I just wanted to hit on a couple things. First, you may already know this but "minority status" in the general sense does not equal minority status (URM) in terms of medical school admissions (https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/). If you are still unsure of whether you qualify as URM or not there are several threads on SDN discussing the topic.

Second, no one WANTS to re-apply. It is just something that happens due to the competitiveness of the medical school admissions process. Pick your schools wisely and try to apply as broadly as possible. Keep in mind that it still may not work out for you. Throughout this cycle you should be preparing yourself to be a better applicant for next cycle just in case.

Hoped that helped. Good luck!