3.6 GPA, 28R MCAT, Alabama res

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

InkandDarkness

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, I've never posted on here before, but I've read some of the threads, and I thought maybe I'd give this a shot.

I've got a 3.6 GPA, but my science is kind of low (around 3.2 thanks to second semesters of organic and physics). I've been working in a research lab for three years on my own project, and recently won a minor award for it at my university (Alabama). I'm in several honors programs, and have done some, but not a lot, of volunteer work. I shadowed a respected physician last summer. I had a 28R MCAT (8B, 11V, 9P), but I'm taking it again in August and am hoping I can get it up another couple of points.

Quite frankly, I'm terrified that my numbers aren't high enough for the schools I'm looking at and that I put off hospital volunteering for too long. Right now I'm looking at UAB, South Alabama, Vandy (reaching, I know), Tennesee, and maybe Tulane. I really want to find a M.D./Ph.D program, but I know that I'm probably reaching a bit just on med school, so I don't have any delusions about actually getting in to one.

Anybody have a clue whether I'm fooling myself or not? Most of the people I've talked to have been completely useless, including advisors and parents, and most of the other pre-meds I know personally have been too competitive to give me a real answer.

Anyway, any opinions would be welcome.
 
Sounds like your lack of any clinical experience except for shadowing one summer might be a problem. If I were you, I'd get in as many hours of clinical experience asap and then send a letter of update to each of the schools in the fall describing your experiences and updating your file. However, I may be wrong, but from what I've heard I think they're much more lenient on clinical experience if you're applying to MD/PhD programs. You might want to call one of the schools (your state school perhaps) and ask to speak with an admissions advisor and see what they say. They may be willing to give you some advice or set you at ease.

I think you've got a good shot at your state school, but I don't know about it from the MD/PhD perspective. I thought MD/PhD programs tend to require pretty high stats, but maybe not if you have good research experience. Regardless, if I were you I'd definitely try to apply more broadly just to be safe. Are there any other schools, perhaps in the south, that you could apply to? Sorry, I'm just not up on the southern schools or I'd make some good OOS suggestions.

Oh, and also keep in mind that because you're retaking the MCAT in August, your applications will be put on hold by all schools until they receive the scores in September. That will definitely delay your application. So I really think your best bet here is going to be your state school.

:luck:
 
Re: MSTP

Your MCAT is a standard deviation below what the average at UAB's MSTP, and the average GPA is lower as well. Your best chance is to destroy the MCAT (>33). Hospital volunteering is close to irrelevant for MSTPs.

Questions? Talk to Robin Lorenz, the director of UAB's MSTP at [email protected].

Re: straight medical school

Simply ask for the dean of admissions at UAB, Nathan Smith, or similar folks elsewhere for a frank opinion, which they'll be able to give you. If you're in-state, your record may be good enough for an acceptance, though an MCAT >30 will be helpful.