3.6 GPA, pre-MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fish89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.6 BCPM GPA, with straight A's in non-science classes. (I'm not sure how the GPA's calculate out, I haven't done the math, but you get the idea). Also, I'm Asian.

I am in my second year at UCLA, have one poster at a national conference which my lab is going to write into a paper, another first-authored abstract pending submission, and am planning to do research with a national program this summer. I'm planning to present another abstract at this May's Undergraduate Science Poster Day. My lab publishes a lot, so I will likely be able to have more publications coming through for me. My profs love me, they will write good recs. I am also volunteering at the hospital.

Do I have any chance at any MSTP, given my GPA? =(

Members don't see this ad.

Leave this guy alone, people, he obviously has no realistic idea of how this process works. I know you all have something really clever to say... just don't.

OP, I don't know what you think the standards for getting into an MSTP are, but a 3.6 will not rule you out of anywhere, especially when it sounds like your cGPA is closer to a 3.8 or so. Also, you're in your SECOND YEAR, so if GPA is super important to you you've got plenty of time to bring those grades "up."

In reality, my general feeling is that MSTPs don't really care THAT much about your stats anyways, as long as you're competitive (meaning 3.6+ GPA, 33-34+ MCAT); what they care about most is your research, which sounds like you've got covered no problem, and how you present it in your interview. It just so happens that the people with the best research also generally tend to have the super stats as well.

Don't stress. Keep doing what you've been doing and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.6 science/math GPA will likely pass muster, so long as your MCAT score ends up decent. For MSTP the research experience is definitely important. Also you are at a well recognized university, which will likely help you in the admissions process.

i have a 3.5 science/cumulative GPA from UCLA and have had 3 MSTP interviews (and one acceptance). Just keep up your research and you'll be fine. You also have a lot of time to improve your GPA -- that should be your main focus.

These responses are so helpful!! They really give me a better perspective on applying MSTP. I have two grad/med student friends, and both were summa cum laude at their schools - one guy even has like 8 papers after just finishing his phd portion, so I guess that gave me a distorted version of what MSTP really requires. I'm going for broke... thanks for all your thoughtful answers.