3.64, non-traditional, 25P (yeah...upset over that one)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamqueen

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-trad - former career in journalism.

3.64 cumulative. Not sure of science GPA

7,10,8 P

MCAT score was a shock - I did not expect so low at all! Bio is one of my strengths, and I have never made below an 8 in PS.

I am retaking the MCAT - of course - but I do have great extracurriculars, terrific second bachelor's degree grades, and my non-traditional background working for me.

If I retake in August and do well - do I have a shot at getting in anywhere this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first you should definitely calculate the science GPA. Secondly, August is late, and unless you ace the MCAT, it'll be hard. Probably better to spend a year taking more classes, or doing research or something else, and apply early next year.

If your MCAT does not improve despite repeat tries, you would want to look at the DO option. If you can get it around 30-32 though, you have a very good shot. Ideally, you want to apply once and if you think you can improve your grades, or EC's during that time, you may want to think about taking that year and just applying early the next year. If your undergrad GPA or science GPA won't improve by much by taking courses, you can get a research job, do some EC like teach English outside the US, or maybe even get a master's degree. All will help your application.

You can even apply while doing those things, as in case you don't get in this year, you'll be in a better position next year, and even this year, if schools can see that you are getting a masters degree in neuroscience, they can look at your application more favorably (especially if you can have the first semester grades in around december).

What were your practice scores like (i.e., what were you expecting to get or think you could get in August)?

Almost as importantly, what is your state of residence? If you have an accessible state school you'll be in a much better position than if you don't (i.e., a CA applicant).

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't realize my 3.64 was a weakness?

Also, I have a million hours - nothing I take would really raise my GPA any, and I have my senior year of my second degree left, which should leave me at a 3.7

I am applying now anyway despite my 25, because I'm counting on my second MCAT being better. Do schools not look at me until the second MCAT is over? I was told by my pre-med committee that they did, and they would sometimes interview me based on what they know now and decide when they got the second score?

I don't mind doing a master's, but I guess I didn't think that my gpa was that bad too...

I'm a GA resident, and I am applying to the state schools for sure.

I really wanted MD/MPH also. Should I toss that out of the window, or do you think if I can make a 30 on my second MCAT that that might still be possibility?

Practice scores jumped all over the place.

PS was normally between 8-10.

My bio was usually around a 12-13 (yes, that high!!!)

My verbal was steady around a 10-11.

All of these jumped around though.

I am really strong in bio, adn I have no idea what happened on the test. Nerves, maybe?

If I were you, I'd talk to the pre-med advisors at my school about MD/PhD chances, or check out the relevant forum on SDN. Regardless, I'd probably apply MD/PhD at my state school(s) if that's what my goal was. No harm in trying, right? And you may end up doing great on the MCAT - you never know.

From what I've seen, if you indicate you're retaking the MCAT all of the schools should put your application aside and let you know you're on hold until they receive the new scores (there may be an exception or two where a school will actually grant an interview before your scores come out, but with a current 25 it sounds unlikely). It's good to get LORs and all other materials in while you're on hold so that once the scores come out you're complete.

I think you've got a solid gpa and you don't need to worry about it. And excellent ECs, LORs and a great personal statement will go a long way. I don't remember their stats, but I'd think you've got a very good shot at MCG if you can raise your MCAT. :luck:

Thanks - I really appreciate your feedback. And it is MD/MPH that is my first choice - I'm actually not interested in an MD/PhD. I really want the Master's in Public Health for career choices in gynecology that are spelled out in my personal statement (maybe they will like it)?

My first choice is Tulane- do you happen to know if they consider people like me?

Just calculated - science GPA is a 3.429.

The only reason it is low is due to C's in Gen Chem and a C in PreCalc from over ten years ago (first degree).

All of my current courses are A's, A-'s and two B's.

Oops 3.477 (can't add apparently)

Thanks - I really appreciate your feedback. And it is MD/MPH that is my first choice - I'm actually not interested in an MD/PhD. I really want the Master's in Public Health for career choices in gynecology that are spelled out in my personal statement (maybe they will like it)?

My first choice is Tulane- do you happen to know if they consider people like me?

Oops. My bad - sorry! I know that Tulane likes non-trad students, but you do have to show that you've really got a passion for medicine and aren't just running away from a failed career in another field (which I think it sounds like you've covered in your PS).

With regard to the MD/MPH program, I believe the way that Tulane does it, is first you apply to their MD program, and you can check off on the secondary that you're interested in their MPH program. You'll separately get application materials for their MPH program. It's a separate application, so it won't impact your chances at all of getting into the MD program. I would think if you raise your MCAT to a 30 you've got a good shot at Tulane, but being late (i.e., in September) will definitely be a big problem. Tulane was inundated with applications this year, and the dean (Beckman) specifically mentioned that we (early applicants/interviewees) were really lucky to have turned in our apps so early because they had to turn away truly stellar applicants in the fall because they just didn't have the interview slots. Thus, you're really going to diminish your chances by being complete in September. It's still worth trying though, and I'd send a letter of interest/intent to Dr. Beckman to let them know how strongly you feel about Tulane if that really is your first choice. That might help.

While Tulane offers a joint MD/MPH program that enables you to work the MPH into the four MD years, I was just thinking.... As a back-up plan, you could apply to Tulane's MPH program this year as well. If your MCAT doesn't turn out as you hoped, and/or you don't get in this year, you could get an MPH at Tulane and apply next year. During that year you'll be getting an MPH and you could retake the MCAT again. Anyway, just a thought. Good luck!