MD 3.67c, 3.6s, 36MCAT, non-trad. Advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omega2r

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
California resident 35 y/o
raised in Pennsylvania (age 1-18)
3.67 cGPA
3.6 sGPA
36 MCAT (13,11,12)

- MS in Chemistry with 3 Publications (1 first author publication)
- >3,000 hours paid employment as NP seeing patients in clinic serving low-income and undocumented
- 100 hours administrative volunteering at another community clinic
- Spanish proficiency "fair"

Can anyone suggest a school that I should consider that is both non-trad friendly and OOS friendly?

My GPA is low so I would appreciate recommendations for "safer" schools. Thanks in advance!

School list:
All CA schools (except Riverside and Loma Linda)
OHSU
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
University of Pennsylvania
UVM
Columbia
Einstein
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Jefferson

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your reply, I will definitely look at the non-trad forum.

Yes, I have an NP degree as well as an MS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Gyngyn and Goro for your responses.

I am a little confused. Comparing my stats to those "safety schools" I noticed that my GPA is at the median or lower than 3 of those schools. (according to MSAR)

My MCAT scores are considerably higher than the median, however. Are you saying that MCAT scores are more important than GPA for non-trads like me?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you Gyngyn and Goro for your responses.

I am a little confused. Comparing my stats to those "safety schools" I noticed that my GPA is at the median or lower than 3 of those schools. (according to MSAR)

My MCAT scores are considerably higher than the median, however. Are you saying that MCAT scores are more important than GPA for non-trads like me?

Thanks in advance.
As long as your gpa is ok, the MCAT tends to be used to compare you to other candidates since grading, majors and regional differences are so variable.

Thanks, that definitely helps.

Would you thus suggest choosing "reach" and "safety" schools based on MCAT scores rather than GPA (my GPA is 3.6)?

Thanks in advance GynGyn

Thanks, that definitely helps.

Would you thus suggest choosing "reach" and "safety" schools based on MCAT scores rather than GPA (my GPA is 3.6)?

Thanks in advance GynGyn
In your case, yes (since you meet threshold gpa for just about anywhere). But you need to include all other pertinent factors: research/clinical strength, OOS interview and matriculation data, regional bias and mission...