MD 3.7 GPA 27 MCAT. Iowa Resident, Excellent LORs/ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DazeN11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You mentioned you are taking the MCAT on Friday. Is that the 2nd time you are taking the MCAT ? You show an MCAT of 27 with a GPA of 3.7 at the top of your post. If you took the MCAT already and 27 was your score most of your schools are reaches. University of Iowa, Rush, Penn State and Drexel are schools where you could receive an interview with an MCAT of 27. Schools where your would have a chance for an interview with a MCAT of 27 and your credentials would be Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Albany, Temple, Commonwealth (PA), Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, St. Louis, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola and Creighton.

Members don't see this ad :)
X

Last edited:
X

Last edited:
@gyngyn What are your 5? I have this complex of "what if..." that is fogging a lot of my choices. I'm applying to UCSD, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, Mayo for sure as I was accepted into their MD/PhD summer programs. I just shot myself in the foot with that MCAT
There is nothing wrong with a few "reaches" but the successful candidate focuses on reality. I'll bet you can pick them out yourself!

Reactions: 1 user
X

Last edited:
According to MSAR UPenn and Northwestern have a median MCAT in the 36 to 37 range with only 10% of students scoring less than 32. UCLA accepts approximately 10% of its students from OOS . Wisconsin gives strong preference to state residents and would accept very few OOS applicants with a MCAT of 27. You can certainly apply to those schools as reaches but consider adding more schools where you would have a realistic chance for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I participated in their MSTP SURF program last summer. I'm very hopeful that that will give me a huge advantage there. :whistle::thinking:

Even if we count UCSD for a half point (sometimes participants in enrichment programs are given courtesy interviews), you still need many more OOS schools to bring your chances up to fair.

Reactions: 1 user
X

Last edited:
X

Last edited: