WAMC / School List Help, ORM 3.7 cGPA 512 MCAT, VA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dawnby

Reaction score
I would love some feedback on my school list, I am hoping to apply to 25-30 schools. If there are any schools you recommend I add or remove from the list please let me know!! Also if you have any advice for improving my application I am always happy to hear it. I am finishing up my final year of undergrad and planning to take a gap year (applying in May). Over my gap year I plan to get some more shadowing in and continue with my volunteering as well as working a paid job (trying for biology research).

ORM white female
VA resident
UVA undergrad

cGPA: around 3.7
sGPA: around 3.6
MCAT: total score = 512 (128, 126, 128,130) , first and only attempt
Volunteer clinical experience: 911 EMT (1,000+ hours in rural area), hospital volunteer (50 hours), free clinics (50 hours, various rural locations)
Paid clinical experience: home health care aide (315 hours, worked with individuals in their homes and in a group home for disabled adults)
Research: around 200 hours with a psychology lab (anxiety focus), 2 poster presentations
Shadowing: plastic surgeon (15 hours), currently arranging shadowing in emergency medicine
Non Clinical volunteering: day shelter volunteer (80 hours), adopt a grandparent (50 hours), CIO focusing on fighting food insecurity/food waste (70 hours)
Extracurriculars: paid non clinical employment (3,000 hours, several different jobs throughout undergrad), peer teaching position (50 hours), paid internship with EMS council (180 hours), several leadership positions held within my rescue squad, involvement with various clubs and organizations at my university with leadership positions as well
Awards and Honors: won outstanding member of the year at my rescue squad for 2023, member of national honor society for neuroscience scholars
Other relevant info: Low SES applicant (qualified for AMCAS fee assistance program). Drug addict/felon parent, ties in to my personal statement/why medicine (serving the underserved) and several of my extracurriculars. I have family ties to CO, NY, PA, TN, FL, and OH. I am currently interested in rural healthcare, possibly emergency medicine or psychiatry. Currently taking an EMT advanced (AEMT) course which will end in May

Current school list:
UVA
VCU
VTC
Eastern VA
Albany medical college
Quinnipiac
Giesel
Geisenger
GWU
Howard
Temple
Loyola
MC of Wisconsin
Meharry
Penn State
Robert Larner
Rush
Tufts
Tulane
U Colorado
Case Western
Drexel
Kaiser
U Wash
Wake Forest
Donald and Barbara Zucker SOM
Ohio State
Western michigan U
Saint louis USom
Boston U
Chicago Medical School
U Pitt
Central Michigan UCOM
Oakland University
Mayo
West Virginia
U of Rochester
U of Cincinnati
Sidney Kimmel
Morehouse
Northeast Ohio
Rutgers
U of Toledo
Wright State U

I picked my list based mostly on mission fit and alignment with my personal statement and characteristics. I know some of those are reaches with my scores, please don’t roast me too hard :,)

Members don't see this ad.

Read

You don't look too bad. Some of your schools might not be as focused on rural so be sure you fit them.

Add DO schools like VCOM and WVSOM if you want rural health. They should have fee assistance too.

Reactions: 1 user
Remove U Washington since they admit less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. Howard, Morehouse and Meharry mainly admit applicants from the African American community. Colorado, Ohio State, Central Michigan, Northeast Ohio, Toledo, Wright State and Rutgers admit few non residents with your stats and no strong connection to the state. You also have other schools that are reaches with your stats. I suggest these schools from your list:
UVA
VCU
VTC
Eastern VA
Albany medical college
Quinnipiac
Geisinger
GWU
Temple
Loyola
MC of Wisconsin
Penn State
Robert Larner
Rush
Tulane
Drexel
Wake Forest
Western michigan U
Saint louis USom
Chicago Medical School
Oakland University
West Virginia
Sidney Kimmel
You could add these schools:
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Belmont
NOVA MD
TCU
Creighton
Wayne State
Alice Walton (when it opens)
You could also try DO schools such as WVSOM, VCOM and CUSOM

Reactions: 1 user
Remove U Washington since they admit less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. Howard, Morehouse and Meharry mainly admit applicants from the African American community. Colorado, Ohio State, Central Michigan, Northeast Ohio, Toledo, Wright State and Rutgers admit few non residents with your stats and no strong connection to the state. You also have other schools that are reaches with your stats. I suggest these schools from your list:
UVA
VCU
VTC
Eastern VA
Albany medical college
Quinnipiac
Geisinger
GWU
Temple
Loyola
MC of Wisconsin
Penn State