3.7 GPA, decent DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NormanBoreman

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.7 GPA, 21 PAT, 21 Reading, 23 AA, many hours spent shadowing - anyone know the realistic chances of getting into an American school? Caveat: got a D in orgo 2 (retaking this July, applying in June)

Or, has anyone got in/rejected with similar scores?

Members don't see this ad.

23 DAT??? 3.7 GPA even though you made a D in OChem-2??? Go ahead and switch over to pre-nursing. There's no way you'd get in with your stats :meh:

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
23 DAT??? 3.7 GPA even though you made a D in OChem-2??? Go ahead and switch over to pre-nursing. There's no way you'd get in with your stats :meh:

Still pretty confused what you meant man, I'm literally worried

Still pretty confused what you meant man, I'm literally worried
There's lots of sarcasm that goes on around here. Get used to it lol
Your stats are very similar to mine, slightly different DAT (21 AA) and got into 5 schools.
Don't worry too much about the D in orgo especially if you retake and get an A. I got in with 2 W's and a C-.

Your stats are very similar to mine, slightly different DAT (21 AA) and got into 5 schools.
Don't worry too much about the D in orgo especially if you retake and get an A. I got in with 2 W's and a C-.

I am a Canadian applying to American schools however, surely that would make a difference, no? Also, I will be retaking orgo 2 in July 2016 but applying in June 2016, do you think this will effect my application?

I am a Canadian applying to American schools however, surely that would make a difference, no? Also, I will be retaking orgo 2 in July 2016 but applying in June 2016, do you think this will effect my application?
It will make a small difference but your DAT score should make up for it. As for retaking orgo 2, just make sure when you apply, you make sure you put down orgo 2 for "planned enrollment" so they know you're retaking it. It should be in when it comes time for the academic update in December. Apply broadly and pick Canadian friendly schools.

It will make a small difference but your DAT score should make up for it. As for retaking orgo 2, just make sure when you apply, you make sure you put down orgo 2 for "planned enrollment" so they know you're retaking it. It should be in when it comes time for the academic update in December. Apply broadly and pick Canadian friendly schools.

Thank you very much for all the advice! Best of luck in your future years at the University of Texas!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also a Canadian applying this cycle with a similar GPA(~3.74; although it is kind of inflated due to the Canadian-US conversion scale!). I'm just waiting for my Feb. DAT score (which is torture right now:bored:). I think you have pretty good stats and should get a couple invites (especially with Canadian friendly schools like NYU, UDM, BU, Minnesota, Buff, CWRU, Penn etc). Where are you from if I may ask?

You have a great chance of getting in. Both your GPA and DAT are above average. Coupled with all your shadowing hours, you're bound to get noticed.

I'm also a Canadian applying this cycle with a similar GPA(~3.74; although it is kind of inflated due to the Canadian-US conversion scale!). I'm just waiting for my Feb. DAT score (which is torture right now:bored:). I think you have pretty good stats and should get a couple invites (especially with Canadian friendly schools like NYU, UDM, BU, Minnesota, Buff, CWRU, Penn etc). Where are you from if I may ask?

How is it inflated? The only difference is an A+ is considered a 4.3 GPA (but even some American universities have A+'s).

How is it inflated? The only difference is an A+ is considered a 4.3 GPA (but even some American universities have A+'s).
It may not be inflated but the American and Canadian scales are quite different. Most Canadian schools (mine at least) report grades as percentages, and the letter grade equivalent differs compared to the U.S. System. For example, a grade of 80-84% is considered an A-, 85-89 =A, and 90+=A+. So in my school if I received an 85 in a course, I would write it as a 4.0 on AADSAS. I'm pretty sure an A in U.S standards is anything above a 90 (and B= 80-89)! Hopefully that makes sense!

Members don't see this ad :)
It may not be inflated but the American and Canadian scales are quite different. Most Canadian schools (mine at least) report grades as percentages, and the letter grade equivalent differs compared to the U.S. System. For example, a grade of 80-84% is considered an A-, 85-89 =A, and 90+=A+. So in my school if I received an 85 in a course, I would write it as a 4.0 on AADSAS. I'm pretty sure an A in U.S standards is anything above a 90 (and B= 80-89)! Hopefully that makes sense!
This.

If only my GPA were figured off of this scale. Harvard and Columbia and Penn would beg me to come to their schools...

Reactions: 3 users
I know I think it does favor us Canadians, but in general I have heard that it's much harder to get a 90% (A+) in Canada than it is to get a 90(A) in America. And also many schools here(in Canada), are too competitive to get into! You need at least a 3.9 GPA to be considered and they only have limited seats! That's why a lot of Canadians take their (favorable) stats down south.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using SDN mobile

I know I think it does favor us Canadians, but in general I have heard that it's much harder to get a 90% (A+) in Canada than it is to get a 90(A) in America. And also many schools here(in Canada), are too competitive to get into! You need at least a 3.9 GPA to be considered and they only have limited seats! That's why a lot of Canadians take their (favorable) stats down south.

So that means it's okay to take seats from US students? It's not like we can do the reverse and get into Canadian schools easier than our own.

Yes, I go to UofT, and I know what you're talking about. But it's definitely not inflated, there's a reason they are this way otherwise U.S schools wouldn't accept our scale. It makes complete sense that it's harder to achieve a similar letter grade mark in Canada compared to the U.S. If it wasn't, it would have changed since time. It's not like Canadians schools just made up these scales in the past few years. U.S schools would impose much stricter requirements, and wouldn't even count our A+'s (or any other mark that is). We're not the first people to have noticed this.

Additionally, even with our "inflated" scale, Canadian schools drop your worst 1 year (and 2 years for Western). That also has to say something. If our scales were so inflated, they wouldn't be dropping people's worst marks.

It's not like we can do the reverse and get into Canadian schools easier than our own.

The thing is, there are no easier Canadian schools. There are only 10, and their GPA requirements across the board are 3.9+ with 21+ DAT (except for McGill). I know people this year that didn't even get INTERVIEWS to some with a 4.0 GPA. It's not like anything else hindered them given that there are no personal statements, shadowing hours, or any other personality components for most of the schools.

The thing is, there are no easier Canadian schools. There are only 10, and their GPA requirements across the board are 3.9+ with 21+ DAT (except for McGill). I know people this year that didn't even get INTERVIEWS to some with a 4.0 GPA. It's not like anything else hindered them given that there are no personal statements, shadowing hours, or any other personality components for most of the schools.
Exactly my point.

I transferred from a Canadian uni to an American uni & yes - it's much more straightforward testing wise in the US. A's are possible if you know your stuff with a decent grasp. I noticed a deeper requirement of understanding is needed to break the 90 mark in Canada.

Additionally, even with our "inflated" scale, Canadian schools drop your worst 1 year (and 2 years for Western). That also has to say something. If our scales were so inflated, they wouldn't be dropping people's worst marks.

Yes they would? Inflating scores makes your GPA look better. If they drop your worst scores, your GPA looks better, thus your grade is inflated. If US schools dropped your worst year, I'm sure some people's GPAs would skyrocket.

I'm not well versed on the need for dentists in Canada, but maybe having 10 schools with high standards of acceptance is a good thing for the dentist market. In the US, it'd probably be helpful to the market to close some of the schools that produce lower calibers of dentists (not naming names, don't know enough specifics). Additionally, it's harder to get into a US school as a Canadian applicant than it is as a US citizen. GPA needs to be higher as a Canadian. This probably balances out with the fact that you can report a 4.0 in AADSAS with an actual grade of 85%. As for Canadian undergraduate schools being tougher, I think it's difficult to make a sweeping generalization and it certainly has to depend on the institution. Not really fair or necessarily accurate to say all Canadian schools make you think more...

To OP's original point, you have approximately my stats and I did well this cycle with multiple acceptances. However, I'm American and never had a D on my transcript. Maybe your GPA is a little low for a Canadian applicant, but your DAT is great. I'm sure you at least have a chance at somewhere that's Canada-friendly

Reactions: 1 users
Yes they would? Inflating scores makes your GPA look better. If they drop your worst scores, your GPA looks better, thus your grade is inflated. If US schools dropped your worst year, I'm sure some people's GPAs would skyrocket.

I'm not well versed on the need for dentists in Canada, but maybe having 10 schools with high standards of acceptance is a good thing for the dentist market. In the US, it'd probably be helpful to the market to close some of the schools that produce lower calibers of dentists (not naming names, don't know enough specifics). Additionally, it's harder to get into a US school as a Canadian applicant than it is as a US citizen. GPA needs to be higher as a Canadian. This probably balances out with the fact that you can report a 4.0 in AADSAS with an actual grade of 85%. As for Canadian undergraduate schools being tougher, I think it's difficult to make a sweeping generalization and it certainly has to depend on the institution. Not really fair or necessarily accurate to say all Canadian schools make you think more...

I'm saying, if it was easier to get a GPA normally in Canada, why would they also drop your worst year? That would in theory inflate already inflated marks.

Yes, that is true. However, basing your subjects only on GPA and DAT isn't fair either (like almost all Canadian schools do). On top of that, one only looks at GPA (no DAT).

I'm saying, if it was easier to get a GPA normally in Canada, why would they also drop your worst year? That would in theory inflate already inflated marks.

Yes, that is true. However, basing your subjects only on GPA and DAT isn't fair either (like almost all Canadian schools do). On top of that, one only looks at GPA (no DAT).
No one is saying that Canadian schools are easier or harder than american schools. The Canadian scale is different from the american scale, and the fact that they drop the lowest year (or two) makes Canadian applicants GPA higher than american applicants.

I can only imagine if my lowest year of college was dropped....damn.

I can only imagine if my lowest year of college was dropped....damn.
We don't have the AADSAS adjustment here in Canada (eg. A+=4.33 on AADSAS), so your GPA would probably end up being similar

3.7 GPA, 21 PAT, 21 Reading, 23 AA, many hours spent shadowing - anyone know the realistic chances of getting into an American school? Caveat: got a D in orgo 2 (retaking this July, applying in June)

Or, has anyone got in/rejected with similar scores?

I'm also Canadian and ALSO got a D in orgo 2, and didn't retake (but took biochem and got an A).

I had a 3.5 GPA, 21 AA and got into NYU this cycle. So you're probably fine! Best of luck.

i'd say pretty f'ing good.
Retake orgo 2 and do well and you should be golden IMO

What schools did you get into? Just wondering for my application.