MD & DO 3.73 c / 3.75 s / 516 MCAT / (ECs?) Help With Creating List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopingforamiracle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker but never actually made an account until now. I know my GPA is OK and my MCAT score is pretty good but I cant determine how my ECs are. I've seen folks with similar stats to mine be recommended to apply to a HUGE range of schools based I'm assuming on their ECs so was hoping for some guidance.

Demographic: White Male, MI Resident, went to unknown state school in Indiana no other connection to state at all (just wanted to move away for undergrad was a very poor HS student and couldn't get in anywhere better, think <2.0 GPA), major is neuroscience.
GPA: 3.73 c / 3.75 s
By semester: 3.45 / 3.7 / 3.6 / 3.8 / 4.0 / 4.0
Not notable grades really, just a lot of A-, nothing below a B.
MCAT: 516 130/128/129/129

Clinical/Volunteering:
-Clinical - ~300 hours hospital volunteering in a very active role, ~500 hours EMT-B
-Shadowing - 55 hours
-Non-clinical - ~300 hours between building houses for less fortunate, food banks, and a good amount through a service organization I'm in.

Clubs -
-A few clubs with no significant roles all for 1-1.5 years
-VP of club where we visit nursing homes and put on events - 2 years was elected to president a few months ago but won't actually serve as that till next year (do I put that on app)

Research:
-worked in a lab my freshman year but nothing significant, just cleaning and learning basic things such as western
-Sophomore year did 1 year of research helping a grad student and have my name listed on his paper but not in any significant role, just helped him run westerns and imaging and what have you
-Junior year I was very fortunate and got a 1st author pub and expect that have another poster or pub but not before I apply obviously.

Random/Teaching:
-MCAT tutor for a limited time
-TA for gen chem
-Peer-mentor for new freshman for their first year

LORs: 2 strong from both PIs (I took all of my research as a "class" so do they count for science letters?), 1 very strong from English teacher, 1 decent from upper level science teacher, 1 good from sociology teacher, 1 strong from adviser, 1 good from hospital volunteer coordinator.

I feel like I have a decent app overall but definitely lacking in some areas. There are a few good things such as 1st author pub and VP of a club but I feel like I don't have that wow factor. I didn't go save dying babies or anything crazy. Just looking for some help.

School list:
All MI schools
Toledo (semi-close to where I live in MI)

Beyond that I don't know where to begin with my ECs. I can match up my numbers to schools that have similar number, but I feel like the other parts of an app play a crucial role and can vastly change where I apply, I know my numbers are decent but I feel like a very bland applicant.

Thanks guys and gals.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you apply to all 6 of the Michigan MD schools you can apply to any OOS schools that appeal to you. Are there any that interest you?

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you apply to all 6 of the Michigan MD schools you can apply to any OOS schools that appeal to you. Are there any that interest you?

I just want to get in, honestly. Not picky.

I mean obviously if I could get into a school like UMich I'd be super stoked, but I'm good with any school. I think a big issue on my app is that my undergrad is not selective or prestigious at all. I went there because they had open admissions pretty much so as long as you applied you pretty much got accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to get in, honestly. Not picky.

I mean obviously if I could get into a school like UMich I'd be super stoked, but I'm good with any school. I think a big issue on my app is that my undergrad is not selective or prestigious at all. I went there because they had open admissions pretty much so as long as you applied you pretty much got accepted.
Your MCAT speaks for itself so you did very well and where you went to school does not matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Tentative list:
UMich
Wayne State
Toledo
Oakland Beaumont
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
MSU CHM
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYMC
Jefferson
Miami
Wake Forest

Trying to apply broadly and once. Any suggestions to take away or add on? Thanks for all the help @Faha !

Last edited:
That is a good list. For Wisconsin I assume you mean Medical College Wisconsin since U Wisconsin prefers their own residents.

That is a good list. For Wisconsin I assume you mean Medical College Wisconsin since U Wisconsin prefers their own residents.

Correct, I'll edit it. Any you would consider adding? I'm worried it isn't enough schools.

That should be enough schools with your stats.

Do you think I could add in a few reaches? Or would they mainly just be money down the drain? I'm aware UMich is a reach but I feel most of the others are reasonable.

@Faha

For example my absolute dream school is Yale I love their system and how they structure the 4 years. But I also understand I have next to 0% chance there, is it even worth applying?
Others that I know my chances are slim to none but would LOVE to go to - Duke, Mayo, Baylor, Harvard. But my GPA for pretty much every one of these schools is around 10th percentile. At that point is it even worth it?

I obviously know I'm not a typical Yale/Duke/Harvard caliber candidate, I'm saying is it generally advised to not "take a shot" and add say 3 reach schools? The only downside I see is a few extra hundred dollars down the drain, but the way I look at it I suppose it's better than never trying. Or would you say not to waste the money/time?

I really appreciate all the insight and help, it's clearing a lot up for me!

I am no expert disclaim. My understanding is that there is a lot of expense but Especially a lot of time involved with apps. It seems like a chess game. Or like a lottery and you are buying your tickets. You should do a lot of specific research on schools median Mcats median gpas stats state preferences and extracurricular preferences. 14 or 15 is the average number of applied to schools. I think that you should apply to Yale and maybe one other 'crazy' school. You never know. It is only May so I feel that gives you some extra liberty. I assume that you are going to websites of your considered schools. GL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ps. Over 1000 hours in ecs seems very good to me. 4.0 4.0 at the end is also noteworthy I think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@Faha

For example my absolute dream school is Yale I love their system and how they structure the 4 years. But I also understand I have next to 0% chance there, is it even worth applying?
Others that I know my chances are slim to none but would LOVE to go to - Duke, Mayo, Baylor, Harvard. But my GPA for pretty much every one of these schools is around 10th percentile. At that point is it even worth it?

I obviously know I'm not a typical Yale/Duke/Harvard caliber candidate, I'm saying is it generally advised to not "take a shot" and add say 3 reach schools? The only downside I see is a few extra hundred dollars down the drain, but the way I look at it I suppose it's better than never trying. Or would you say not to waste the money/time?

I really appreciate all the insight and help, it's clearing a lot up for me!
Those are definitely reaches. It would be better to concentrate on writing good secondaries for the schools you have already chosen.

@hopingforamiracle Did you do research?

Yes I did, I have 1 first author pub and my name listed on a grad students paper but in no significant role. For the sake of ease I'll copy what I put above.

Research:
-worked in a lab my freshman year but nothing significant, just cleaning and learning basic things such as western
-Sophomore year did 1 year of research helping a grad student and have my name listed on his paper but not in any significant role, just helped him run westerns and imaging and what have you
-Junior year I was very fortunate and got a 1st author pub and expect that have another poster or pub but not before I apply obviously.