MD 3.74 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, 520 MCAT, final school help needed please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenblackalps

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Florida has a good bit of lower tiers but alas even for IS they are quite competitive. I don't think a single one of those schools interviews 20% of their IS applicants.

To answer your question yes you can be competitive for big names. But if you can only apply to 5 more schools you want to maximize your shot an acceptance. What I would do if I were you would be include half lower tiers and half reaches.
Here are some to consider

Middle tiers: Case, Emory, USC, Rochester, Boston U. You can pick from those type of schools.

Big names: Pretty much anything you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
With the amount of attainable schools in Florida, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to add any more lower tier schools with your numbers. OOS schools where your MCAT is >90% of their accepted scores will probably have a hard time taking your app seriously.

I think you look at maybe adding a Hofstra if you want another "safe" option but the rest of your schools should probably be like UVA, USC, Boston U, Case, Pitt; maybe throw a couple apps at Duke/Vandy/Northwestern if you think your essay/interview game will be strong and if there's something that draws more of your interest to any of those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a rock star, so nothing wrong with aiming high. Your state schools cover you for a lot of safeties.

I recommend the following:

Hofstra or BU or
Northwestern or Pitt
Mt Sinai or Yale
Baylor or Vandy
Emory or Keck
U VM or SUNY SB or SUNY DS

So far I have applied to all Florida schools, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Harvard and Albert Einstein. I don't have a lot of money to spend on applications (5-6 more schools at most). Do you think I have the stats to justify more top 25 schools or instead focus on mid-to-lower tier schools? Thank you![/QUOTE]

Reach for the stars. Good luck!

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions, everyone. The consensus seemed to be to reach higher rather than lower with some middle and high tiers so that is what I am going to do (my hunch also). I just added Hofstra and Sinai to my primary and will add a few more middle and top tier schools.

@Goro it seems to be already that I am following your recommendation, so thank you again for that. I get the feeling I will follow it quite closely!

Yeah its good to add Sinai/Hofstra since you want NYC region. And you can add pretty much any other mid/top tier you want.