3.75cGPA/3.68sGPA (LOW MCAT) Needed some advice on my school choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aristeidis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I hate being in the situation I'm in and I know I should probably give up and move on but I still have a last bit of hope. I already expended my 2 year limit on MCATs so retaking the mcat is not possible.

My first score was a 496, second was 500, and this time it was a 502. I know MD is probably a long shot but I just wanted to see if there is any school which don't focus too heavily on MCAT. My cGPA is a 3.75 and my sGPA is a 3.68. I have a really really strong application except for this freaking MCAT being so low.

Some notable accomplishments on my EC's include being a part of starting charities that have raised thousands of dollars for third world countries, that have built wells in Africa, Syria, and Palestine. I have countless amounts of shadowing and research hours (probably close to 1000 between the two) and then another bit of probably 2500 clinical hours as a registered dental assistant (I was pre dental before I decided medicine was a better fit for me) , as well as 200-300 volunteering hours . My letters are all pretty strong from very well acquainted physicians and professors. I've tutored almost every basic level science premed course. I'd like to say that I'm good at interviewing so if i can get through those doors, I can milk the interview, it just comes down to getting the interview in the first place. I am also a personal trainer that works at a sports medicine, rehabilitation, and performance center and I've worked with a plethora of professional athletes and trained them, some notable names would be Case Keenum (played QB for texans), a few DT's and linebackers which I think is a neat thing to talk about. Overall, I do know that I'm very well rounded but my only roadblock is that freaking despicable MCAT.

I just graduated this semester so I already have a gap year. I know I'm probably headed towards a DO school due to my MCAT but if you guys had any very low tier MD program recommendation that I should just shoot for including medical schools within my reach, that would be awesome. I've heard some miracle stories where kids have gotten in out of state with like 502-504 after applying EXTREMELY broad so I'm just holding on to that ounce of hope that maybe I'll get lucky. My plan is to apply but I'm not ready to give up. I'm going to most probably plan to retake the mcat one more time in January when they allow me to again but any feedback would be appreciated. Its a rough patch for me so any kind words would be helpful. If you guys have some good DO schools within my reach, that would be awesome as well if you could share those.

Oh one more thing I'll add, I'm in the Asian ethnicity category

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're very lucky to be a Texas resident. TMDSAS schools are known to emphasize grades over MCAT.

Apply to all of the TMDSAS schools, and apply broadly to osteopathic programs.

Best of luck.

If anyone has a list of OOS md/do programs within my reach, please share them!

It is worth applying to all of your Texas MD schools as long as you realize that your MCAT is below the 10% percentile for all schools. You may still receive 1 or 2 interviews. Concentrate on DO schools and apply to at least 12 and you have TCOM and UIWSOM in Texas. Also consider these DO schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
RVU-Utah
NYIT-Arkansas