Need help with school list low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarymcat

Reaction score
I need help with the school list. I have already applied for AMCAS (verification in the process) and AACOMAS (verified).

I got a low MCAT score of 499 yesterday (practice tests- all FLs and blueprint average was 520, but never thought of this much difference with actual). Anyhow want to continue with the application process.

cGPA/ sGPA: 3.67/3.59
MCAT: 499
State: Georgia
Ethnicity: Asian/Indian
Undergrad: State public school
Clinical Experience: Total -940 hours at the time of application

Medical Assistant/Scribe – 700 hours + Projected 400 hrs

Hospital volunteering – 240 hours + Projected 200 Hour

Shadowing: Total – 172 hours at the time of application

DO- Family Medicine -72 hours

MD – Family Medicine – 100 hours + Projected 100 hours

Research: Total – 540 hours at the time of application

• Clinical Research Intern: 240 hours + Projected hours 400
  • - No pubs/presentations
  • Undergraduate Research: 300 Hours
  • – Presented at STEM Conference
Non-Clinical Volunteering – Total 322 hours at the time of application
Volunteer for special needs kids: 152 hours+ Projected 150 hours (helping kids with autism)

Summer Meals Program – 40 hours

Food Bank - 130 hours + Projected 150 hours

Other Extracurriculars:
Peer Tutor: 60 hours
Mentor – 200 hours (gym)

Tennis instructor for school kids – 60 hours (stopped due to Covid)

Weightlifting – 2400 hours + projected hours

Hobbies – Baking and Chess

School List:

MD:

Mercer

Morehouse

DO:

PCOM South Georgia

PCOM Georgia

Any suggestions for DO and MD (if possible) schools are appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Mercer wants more students focused on rural health. Do you have this?

Morehouse is an HBCU. Why are you a mission fit?

Did you grow up in rural Georgia for PCOM South Georgia?

Reactions: 1 user
Mercer is the only possible MD school with a MCAT of 499. You could receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest all these:
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
NYIT-AR
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
ARCOM
BUCOM (new school)
DUQCOM (new school)
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mercer wants more students focused on rural health. Do you have this?

Morehouse is an HBCU. Why are you a mission fit?

Did you grow up in rural Georgia for PCOM South Georgia?

1. While I don't have hands-on experience in rural health, I have volunteered at a food bank located in a rural area. I've gained insights into the healthcare disparity by working with an underserved community.

2. I am a mission fit because my work with my community through volunteering with disabled children and the local foodbank reflects my passion for serving my community.

3. I have not grown up in a part of rural Georgia, but I have been exposed to the disparities in healthcare services in underserved communities of Georgia.

Mercer is the only possible MD school with a MCAT of 499. You could receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest all these:
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
NYIT-AR
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
ARCOM
BUCOM (new school)
DUQCOM (new school)
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews.

Thank you, Faha. If I do get a better MCAT score in the January MCAT, are there any suggestions for other DO schools that I would have a chance to get into?

1. While I don't have hands-on experience in rural health, I have volunteered at a food bank located in a rural area. I've gained insights into the healthcare disparity by working with an underserved community.

2. I am a mission fit because my work with my community through volunteering with disabled children and the local foodbank reflects my passion for serving my community.

3. I have not grown up in a part of rural Georgia, but I have been exposed to the disparities in healthcare services in underserved communities of Georgia.
Have you pre-written your Mercer essays? How confident are your answers?

I have written my Mercer essays already. I am confident in my answers but always open to new critiques. Would it be worth making an early decision for Mercer, as the probability of getting into other MD schools are considerably lower?

I have written my Mercer essays already. I am confident in my answers but always open to new critiques. Would it be worth making an early decision for Mercer, as the probability of getting into other MD schools are considerably lower?
You are not competitive for early decision with a MCAT of 499. For early decision they are looking for high stat applicants.

Reactions: 1 user