3.78 cgpa, 3.7 sgpa, 3.88 nonscience gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maar32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am entering junior this year. I had two bad semesters (freshman yr second semester and sophomore yr first semester of both 3.4). Currently, I have a 3.73 cgpa and a 3.63 sgpa, but at the end of the year both should be higher to:

cGPA 3.78 sGPA 3.72

I have a great upward trend but had B's in bio's and ochem.

MCAT: 520

Research:
I am in a lab and heavily been researching (should have a publication or two before I apply) at University of Arizona Medical College in Phoenix.

Volunteering:
Hospital: 100 hours
Community Service: 100 hours
Clinic: 100 hours

Shadowing:
Family doctor: 200 hours
Nephrologist: 100 hours

Extracurricular:
President and Founder of a charity club
In other pre med clubs
Coach kids basketball teams for a couple years
Intramural Basketball

I plan to do MD with the hopes to get into University of Arizona Phx or Tucson (instate school). I do not want to do DO, MD is the goal. I also would love to apply to Duke but it maybe a long a shot. What would also be a good school list?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No school is a long shot, including Duke (every top school is a long shot for almost everyone, but your app is in line with their matriculants). Your GPA's are fine and likely to increase, given your trend. I'll let the experts give you your list, but you are in great shape.

Youre fine. Ace this year get to 3.7+ and your stats can make almost any school one where your stats can work. Both Arizona schools interview a high proportion of in state applicants.

I just got a B minus in ochem 1 and a B in ochem 2 which really ruined my confidence. Thanks for your guys' input. I appreciate it.