3.78 GPA 28R MCAT - what do you think?

Started by RySerr21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So those are my stats.

28R MCAT - just got scores back today, will not be retaking

3.78 overall GPA with 3.64 science GPA (science gpa is w/o calculus I and calculus II which i got A-s in...AACOMAS doesnt count math towards BCPM)

i feel i have pretty good ECs, i've worked hard to get a varied experience in the medical field and I also have worked my entire time during college as well as played DIII football and DII rugby.

2 publications as co author in journal of musculoskelelal medicine. Worked with chief of sports medicine and residency drirector at UCSD orthopedic surgery residency. i'm hoping that catches their eye.

The rest of my ECs are on my mdapps, feel free to browse to get the whole picture.


Basically, I am applying DO and MD, and the only way reason I would choose MD over DO is if the MD is a CA school or Dartmouth (the one exception)..hence why the list is so short. I know my MCAT is below average for these schools but i think i have a pretty solid app so why not give it a shot. I am also applying URM (puerto rican). I understand the possibility of me being rejected from all of these schools is pretty high, but I'm okay with that and am more than happy to be at a DO school.

UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UCI
USC
Dartmouth


So........what do you all think my chances are?? My number one on that list is UCSD, followed by USC/UCLA, and dartmouth is floating around somewhere as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe you have a shot at USC or Dartmouth, but its doubtful. You might have to forgo your UC aspirations with a 28.
 
Maybe you have a shot at USC or Dartmouth, but its doubtful. You might have to forgo your UC aspirations with a 28.

yea, i realize I am a long shot for the UCs but at the same time hoping they can look past the 28 b/c the rest of my app is very competitive. i guess only time will tell!!! if they reject me, its not the end of the world and I will find a school I am happy at.

thanks for the advice.
 
i've decided to add at least one more school to my list... Loyola University of Chicago.
 
So those are my stats.

28R MCAT - just got scores back today, will not be retaking

3.78 overall GPA with 3.64 science GPA (science gpa is w/o calculus I and calculus II which i got A-s in...AACOMAS doesnt count math towards BCPM)

i feel i have pretty good ECs, i've worked hard to get a varied experience in the medical field and I also have worked my entire time during college as well as played DIII football and DII rugby.

2 publications as co author in journal of musculoskelelal medicine. Worked with chief of sports medicine and residency drirector at UCSD orthopedic surgery residency. i'm hoping that catches their eye.

The rest of my ECs are on my mdapps, feel free to browse to get the whole picture.


Basically, I am applying DO and MD, and the only way reason I would choose MD over DO is if the MD is a CA school or Dartmouth (the one exception)..hence why the list is so short. I know my MCAT is below average for these schools but i think i have a pretty solid app so why not give it a shot. I am also applying URM (puerto rican). I understand the possibility of me being rejected from all of these schools is pretty high, but I'm okay with that and am more than happy to be at a DO school.

UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UCI
USC
Dartmouth


So........what do you all think my chances are?? My number one on that list is UCSD, followed by USC/UCLA, and dartmouth is floating around somewhere as well.
The good your MCAT is balance, GPA is high enough, and you have good ecs

The bad your MCAT is only a 28

I say just go for it, Im sure all of those schools have accepted ppl with MCAT scores at 28 or even lower and if anyone has a shot to get into one of those with a 28, Its you.
 
Don't underestimate the power you have. One word: Hispanic. You can ride your heritage to hell and back.

With your GPA, as long as you constantly follow up with the UCs, you have a chance - a remote one, but a chance, nonetheless. Your MCAT score is a little on the low side, but for every 41 a UC takes, there's someone with a sub-30 who'll get in. You never really know who they're going to interview and who they'll turn down.