MD & DO WAMC high GPA, low MCAT, URM

Started by docgirl12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

docgirl12

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
  1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.88 cGPA, 3.79sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 496 (123/122/125/126), 498 (126/122/125/125), most recent attempt 501 (126/122/126/127)
  3. State of residence: MI
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Black
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  • 2100 hrs working as a clinical lab tech at an urgent care serving rural and underserved areas in MI and IN (on going)
  • 60 hrs as a volunteer at a nonprofit clinic serving uninsured immigrant populations.
  • 400 hrs as a nursing assistant in a nursing home (on going- part time)
  • 30 medical research assistant for private practice (on going part time)
  1. Research experience and productivity
  • 1000+ hrs working as a research analyst in biotech
  • 400 hrs on a summer project in undergrad (no pubs).
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  • 60 hrs across pediatrics, internal medicine, and emergency medicine
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
  • 80 hrs at local food bank (ongoing)
  • 120 hrs doing community events for Title I schools through out undergrad.
  1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  • Resident Assistant in undergrad: 2000 hrs
  • Tutor for sciences in undergrad: 500 hrs.

MD Schools​

  • Central Michigan
  • Wayne State
  • Michigan State
  • Oakland University
  • Western Michigan
  • Temple University
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Loyola University
  • Rush Medical College
  • University of Illinois
  • Howard
  • Morehouse
  • Meharry
  • Quinnipiac
  • NEOMED
  • University of Toledo College of Medicine
  • Wright State

DO Schools​

  • MSUCOM
  • Midwestern (CCOM)
  • Marian
  • ATSU
  • PCOM
  • Rowan-Virtua
  • LECOM
  • Nova Southeastern
  • TouroCOM- Middletown
  • Western University
  • Campbell
  • VCOM
I know my MCAT is a major weakness in my application, but I want to apply broadly to both MD and DO programs, preferably those centered in the Midwest or on the East Coast. Especially programs interested in serving underserved/rural communities and those focused on primary care. Looking for feedback on the realism of the school list and whether I should add/remove schools. Thank you for your time!
 
Last edited:
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Wayne State
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Ponce (St. Louis)
TCU
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
For DO schools I suggest these:
MSUCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
BCOM (both schools)
KCU-COM
BUCOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools)
DUQCOM
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you part of any mentoring non-profit organizations that support aspiring Black physicians? Many of them have MCAT prep resource discounts, and some include underwritten (free) MCAT prep.
I am not, but I'm not so sure how a fourth MCAT score would be perceived by admissions. I've always struggled with CARS and have tried everything for that section.
 
I am not, but I'm not so sure how a fourth MCAT score would be perceived by admissions. I've always struggled with CARS and have tried everything for that section.
At the very least you'll get a shot at DO schools with your last MCAT score (501). Have you talked with admissions officers representing the schools on your list?

Anecdotally, a few Black applicants got in after 6 MCAT tries, but given the marginal increase in the number of Black matriculants over time, I don't believe it's common. However, there's a reason why you should connect with SNMA (national and school chapter officers); you can get a better idea of how common your profile is. This will be your most supportive community should you get into medicine (MD or DO... and a few Caribbeans though I warn against that).