3.79 cum, 3.9 sci, MCAT 23M - help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringNeuro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently received my MCAT scores (to my dismay) and will be taking them again 9/7/12 to try and raise it.

What are my chances at these schools with my stats (listed below):
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
University of Pennsylvania
Penn State
Pittsburg
University of Maryland
New York Medical College
Boston
NJMS
RWJMS
Stony Brook
UNC

Stats: 3.79 cumulative GPA, 3.9 science GPA, 23M MCAT, Delaware resident, Hispanic, double major in neuroscience and psychology with minors in biology and biochemistry, third year resident assistant (1 year mentor resident assistant), president of an honors society (Psi Chi), second year working in a neuroscience lab (neurobiology of fear) + writing my senior thesis covering my research, a Ronald E. McNair scholar, 7 strong letters of recommendation (Received "Highest Recommendation" evaluation from my university committee) and 100+ hours volunteering in an ER.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, with a 23 I wouldn't have high hopes for any of those schools. Focus on your retake and try to get at least 27 (30 would be amazing with your ECs and GPA, which are both really good).

Not trying to be pessimistic, but rather realistic. Good luck.

URM status will not overcome that 23 IMO. There will be plenty of other URM candidates that have much higher stats. Each school only reserves a certain # of URM spots. Retake MCAT or apply DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to retake. That's just too low. With a 27 you'll get into MD being that you're URM with a 3.8

Your going to need a 27+ for any luck at MD schools.

Also as NY resident and attending there now as a undergraduate, I know Stony Brook is a state school which prefers in state and has relatively high admission criteria.