3.7cGPA 3.5sGPA MCAT-29Q Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas Resident
Graduate from SMU (Southern Methodist University)
3.7 GPA
3.5 sGPA

MCAT: 29Q

Research:
Psychology-mood disorders 1+ year. one publish

Shadow experience:
4 Docs 80+ hours

Volunteer:
Emergency Department, 100+ Hours

Awards:
Academic scholarship
phi theta kappa scholarship
Volunteer award at ED

EC's:
Phi Theta Kappa
Health professions Club member
Alpha Epsilon Delta/pre-health society

Chances for med schools M.D or D.O? Chances for any competitive M.D. schools?
Planning on retaking MCAT.

What should i do to strengthen my chances? Any more important EC's i should be involved in etc?

Members don't see this ad.

With good ECs, I think you'll have a decent shot at getting into one of your state schools, MD and DO.

A higher MCAT score will give you a shot at the more selective schools.

I'd suggest you continue to gain clinical experience, add some nonmedical, noncampus weekly (or at least regular) community service, and try to get into a leadership activity (perhaps via one of the organizations you belong to),

The research and shadowing look good (hopefully you included a primary care doc). And you've made a good start on the clinical experience, but you're still below average.

I think you have an excellent shot at DO schools -I have a lot of what you have only with a bit more clinical and some leadership and I have received three interviews so far 2 DO and 1 MD (the MD was my state school though) and one acceptance. My gpa is c3.64 and s3.62 and MCAT 28P. In addition I shadowed DO only. I think the key is making you experiences count on your primaries and secondaries and make sure that your essays shine and fill up all of your work/extracurric/activities sections. There are people out there with much lower scores who get it. That being said make sure you stand out in your applications! Good luck!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
everything looks good! just apply early and broadly and cross your fingers! i dont think i would retake the MCAT, because there is a chance you could do worse.

Apply to all your TX schools.. with those stats you should get in somewhere... and then also go to school for cheap since Texas takes care of their in state students!

your stats seem to be good enough to get you into a tx med school. i just interviewed at a&m and the avg for matriculants was around a 3.7 cgpa and 29 mcat. if you want to re-take the mcat, make sure you are consistently scoring higher on practice tests because you definitely don't want to get a lower score the second time around. i agree with cat. you should try to get some non-medical volunteering down, perhaps habitat for humanity? good luck!