3.8/32Q List of Schools Advice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

music2doc

Student of Mad Doctoring
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering if I could get some advice on my list of schools to apply to.

I am a CO resident and have a 3.8+ cGPA and sGPA with a 32Q MCAT.

I am somewhat nontraditional in that I took some of my prereqs right after graduating and, while I could claim URM status, I am not doing so because I do not feel I have had sufficient interaction with that part of my heritage (i.e., I marked myself as "Caucasian"). I am also fluent in Spanish at an advanced (but not native) level. I did not list it as a language I speak on AMCAS; however, it was mentioned throughout my ECs (e.g., that I interpret for Spanish-speaking pts).

Here is roughly what I have:

• 1.5 years of part-time hospital experience in both in-patient and ED areas (tech and clerical, including scribing) including some training experience
  • 1.5 years of clinical volunteering including some supervising/training
  • 1 yr training in a martial art (hobby)
  • 3 yrs teaching & tutoring
  • 2.5 yrs non-clinical community service
  • 1.5 yrs in leadership of pre-health professions/pre-med program (led successful initiative to gain funding for new program and new advisor and subsequent multidisciplinary approach to pre-med/pre-health program)
  • 48 hrs shadowing + many hrs of scribing
  • 0.75 yrs in a non-hospital clinical position (included administering meds, supervising, training, etc.)
  • Research: First author/project lead on 1 national presentation and 1 institutional/regional presentation
  • Research: 3 projects over 4 yrs
  • International Service: 4 trips (2-12 weeks in length) and 1 planned for next year (a major interest of mine is international health)
  • 3 yrs of peer mentoring (including leadership and training of mentors)
  • 4 yrs of music-related jobs and activities
  • 13 yrs as a freelance musician/EC musical activities

LORs:
  • Biochem Prof -- A in class (top score in class), had as a supervisor (tutoring), worked on Pre-Health initiative with him
  • Human Physiology Prof -- A in class & worked with on Pre-Health/Pre-Med things
  • Lab Instructor Training Prof -- A in course & was closely involved with Pre-Health/Pre-Med initiative
  • Psych Prof -- A in 2 classes; research advisor; supervisor as a TA; known ~4 yrs
  • ED Physician -- scribe trainer; work with him in ED regularly
  • Free Clinic Medical Director -- medical director at the free clinic where I work
Here is my list:

REACH

• NYU
  • Tufts
  • Emory
  • Wake Forest
  • OHSU
  • Penn State
  • Georgetown

MATCH

• U of Colorado
  • St. Louis U
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Loyola
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Drexel

SAFETY

• GWU
  • NYMC
  • Loma Linda
  • Tulane
  • Creighton
  • Jefferson

I would appreciate any advice you may have on my choice of schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can't say much but i know this much,

For U of Kansas there is a strong in state ties. not to say they dont interview and accept oos. its just much later in the process and fewer in number. If you are an URM it sounds like they are a little more lenient on this.

Loma Linda requires their students to follow a strict code of personal conduct.

I would just make sure that you're familiar with the details of the code to make sure there's nothing on there that you would have a problem following.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like a reasonable list.

I would nix GWU and add Georgetown due to your international health experience/interest, unless you really want GWU. I could be wrong, but I think Georgetown would have more international opportunities.

Also, I know you don't have it listed but Penn State is a great school. I almost went there, but stayed in Cali instead. Their match list was ridiculous this last year. I know, I know, it doesn't matter, but they matched a bang of folks into mouth watering specialties and programs. You're definitely competitive - I'd add them to your list.

Can't say much but i know this much,

For U of Kansas there is a strong in state ties. not to say they dont interview and accept oos. its just much later in the process and fewer in number. If you are an URM it sounds like they are a little more lenient on this.

Thanks. I'm not applying as a URM, so I went ahead and removed them. It's unfortunate the western states are all so closed off from accepting other states' students. We need more medical schools out here!

Loma Linda requires their students to follow a strict code of personal conduct.

I would just make sure that you're familiar with the details of the code to make sure there's nothing on there that you would have a problem following.

Cool. I think I could live with it. Thanks!

Looks like a reasonable list.

I would nix GWU and add Georgetown due to your international health experience/interest, unless you really want GWU. I could be wrong, but I think Georgetown would have more international opportunities.

Also, I know you don't have it listed but Penn State is a great school. I almost went there, but stayed in Cali instead. Their match list was ridiculous this last year. I know, I know, it doesn't matter, but they matched a bang of folks into mouth watering specialties and programs. You're definitely competitive - I'd add them to your list.

Thanks for the suggestions! I added Georgetown but kept GWU because it appears I'd have a strong chance there and I'd think it might make a good safety. Thanks for the Penn State suggestion as well! I added them as well.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited:
Is there a link to that code somewhere? I did not see one on the med school website and a Google search didn't really turn up much.
http://www.llu.edu/central/apply/mdlifestyle.page
Also see essay prompts here for more religious and health code information http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823412 The rest of the thread does have some conversation about the lifestyle agreement as well, including perspectives from students at Loma Linda and other SDA schools

Another section of the secondary has this (this is actually separate from the essay question asking if you are willing to abide by the lifestyle agreement. The only option here is to check the box or not):
Values and Lifestyle Statement (Checklist item 8 of 8)

Loma Linda University actively promotes a healthy moral lifestyle consistent with Seventh-day Adventist Christian principles. This includes participation in a midweek University chapel service designed to focus the University on its mission and to facilitate your personal journey with God.
A basic tenet of Seventh-day Adventist belief is worshiping on Saturday. Seventh-day Adventists observe Sabbath from sundown on Friday evening until sundown on Saturday evening. As a consequence of this, the school offices and libraries close early on Friday afternoon and are not open on Saturdays. The library is open on Sunday.
The University expects students to exclude alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs from their lives while enrolled at the University or one of its extended campuses. More details on lifestyle requirements may be found at http://www.llu.edu/central/apply/lifestyle.page and information on the professional expectations of students are provided in the policy section of the Student Handbook, and in the section specifically for School of Medicine students at http://www.llu.edu/central/handbook/index.page.
If accepted to LLUSM I am willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine.

^Great. Thanks!

Any other suggestions on additions or schools I should remove? Am I applying to more schools than I need to do you think?

Hey, I'm from Colorado as well and thought I could give you a suggestion. Arizona, if it interests you, has upped their maximum out of state acceptance to 50% this year. I added them and if you like their program, then you are very competitive there and would fulfill your request for western schools.

Hey, I'm from Colorado as well and thought I could give you a suggestion. Arizona, if it interests you, has upped their maximum out of state acceptance to 50% this year. I added them and if you like their program, then you are very competitive there and would fulfill your request for western schools.

Thanks! I'll check 'em out!

Any idea how an OOSer with my stats would fair? I'd probably want to replace another school with Arizona, but I don't want to hurt my chances. For instance, do I have a better chance at Tulane (with its 10,000 applicants and 155 spots given to OOS students last year) or Arizona?

Any idea how an OOSer with my stats would fair? I'd probably want to replace another school with Arizona, but I don't want to hurt my chances. For instance, do I have a better chance at Tulane (with its 10,000 applicants and 155 spots given to OOS students last year) or Arizona?

An OOS'er with your stats and the amount of Spanish you speak will probably fare really well. They like diversity a lot, and one of their questions is about how you have used other languages. I would take Tulane off personally. Arizona is a better school in my opinion with similar stats.

Tulane also has one of the highest tuition rates among medical schools, if that matters.

apply to some more reaches man...

shoot for the sky, your app looks stellar.