3.8 gpa, 509 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I retake my mcat

• Total voters

EDlover23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will keep this short and sweet, retaking the MCAT which is around a 30 will more than likely hurt your app than help it, ADCOMs will question your judgement especially if you improve by just a small margin (lets say you get 510-511). Your application look solid work for the rest of the time to save money and apply early next semester if you get in this time around. Also you need to apply to a much larger range of school around 10. Even though you have a strong application so does everyone else, if money is a issue then save and apply again early next semester

Reactions: 1 user
The bigger issue for you is that a) you applied really late b) you only applied to 10 schools, 3 of which are really low yield and another of which your MCAT is rather low for. If you don't get in this cycle the much bigger issues to correct are applying from day 1 and applying much more broadly, particularly in a state like Oregon with only 1 state school that has high median stats. The MCAT score is good enough and like the above poster said, retaking it and only improving by a point or two isn't doing anything to help you and honestly probably hurting you to some extent.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're competitive for those schools, but agree the late app will probably hurt.

If no love by Jan/Feb, start thinking about a re-app, and apply 6/1/15!

It will also help to have some DO schools on your list. If you wish to stay close to home, you have Touro-CA, PacNW and Western-OR to choose from.

Hey guys I was just wondering my chances for this cycle as I applied late in september as I initially was not going to apply this cycle but ended up submitting some secondaries in october. I am an oregon resident. Went to a top 20 school
3.8 c gpa 3.75 s gpa
mcat 509(128,127,127,127)

Applied to OHSU, Rush, creighton, EVMS, drexel, jefferson, penn state, tufts, georgetown, GW.
EC's:
800 hours as a medical scribe
200 hours volunteering in Surgery and ED departments
250 hours volunteering for underprivileged schools
50 hours shadowing
400 hours as research assistant( but no pubs)
2 years as an RA

I know im late and most likely wont get in this cycle. Just wanted some help for what to improve on and whether I should retake mcat. @Goro and @WedgeDawg I would especially love your opinions as i've seen you give great advice. Thank you

Hey your stats are about the exact same as mine and I applied late too! I was complete late september to mid october and had 3 interviews so far even though I'm ORM and my ECs are not that significant, so you definitely have a chance! Also I went to an unknown state school and you went to top 20s so I would say with your stats you got a pretty good chance so don't worry too much it's still early!