3.80 sGPA 36R MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tma1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to the point where I'm ready to apply and it looks like I'm going to finish with a 3,80 sGPA, and I received a 36R on my MCAT. My extra curriculars aren't amazing but I feel like they're halfway decent.

200+ hours emergency room volunteering
60+ hours shadowing different specialties of doctor
a year and a half averaging 15hr/week assisting with psychiatric research at a Brown affiliated hospital.
Excellent LoR from researcher at Brown, Pre-health committee, and advanced genetics / molecular biology professor

I have a decent amount of upper level science and math classes that I scored well in as well (Genetics, advanced genetics, molecular biology, differential equations)

I need help building a school list! I'd like to stay in New England if possible but I know that can be uncertain as a lot of them are competitive. My top two choices right now are Boston University and Tufts, as I have a lot of friends in the Boston area and I'd like to avoid having to make my fiance relocate.

Please give me your honest opinion about my chances. I'm having trouble with this semester because I feel constantly panicky about whether or not I'm going to get into a school in an area I won't hate. I have some serious anxiety issues and some input from people who have gotten in with similar or lower stats would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to where ever you would like! If you can somehow get some leadership experiences, that would round out your application decently. Your stats shouldn't hold you back from any schools in the Northeast however.

Can't tell you much as far as specific schools go, but your stats are quite good. Your EC'S are a little cookie-cutter but that won't stop you from getting interviews (and acceptances) from mid tiers at least and you're certainly in the running for just about any school. Don't stress out; you're absolutely on the right track.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys. There are a few other extra curricular things I was involved in but the involvement wasn't a huge time commitment so I don't know if they are worth listing or not.

Volunteered at a library for 3 hours a week for a year or so
Relatively active in my school's Gay straight alliance and LGBT awareness clubs
Published a few pieces of creative writing in the school newspaper (Forgot about this one! Was thinking it might make me a little less cookie cutter if I show I have some liberal artsy side to me)

Let me know if any or all of these are worth listing

Thanks for the replies guys. There are a few other extra curricular things I was involved in but the involvement wasn't a huge time commitment so I don't know if they are worth listing or not.

Published a few pieces of creative writing in the school newspaper (Forgot about this one! Was thinking it might make me a little less cookie cutter if I show I have some liberal artsy side to me)

All worth listing! For reference, the categories in the work/activities section of AMCAS are:
  • Paid Employment—Not Military
  • Paid Employment—Military
  • Community Service/Volunteer—Not Medical/Clinical
  • Community Service/Volunteer—Medical/Clinical
  • Research/Lab
  • Teaching/Tutoring
  • Honors/Awards/Recognition
  • Conferences Attended
  • Presentations/Posters
  • Publications
  • Extracurricular/Hobbies/Avocations
  • Leadership—Not Listed Elsewhere
  • Other
Having a well-rounded activities list is always nice. I arrange music for an a cappella group and got asked about it several times during interviews - artistic endeavors that get you excited can help you seem not so cookie-cutter.

All definitely worth listing. That's almost 150 hours in the library... Were you tutoring kids or what?

Is there anything else you're hiding from us? ;)