3.82, 35S, sub-par clinical exposure. Critique my list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FloridaMed09

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, figured I´d go ahead and post one of these for myself to see what you guys think.

I´m a chemical engineering student with a 3.82 GPA and a balanced MCAT (35S: v 11 p 12 b 12)

ECs:

2 years or so of research on and off (no pubs, on and off because it was interrupted by semesters abroad)
1 semester of full time research in Japan (abstract, 2 presentations)
1 semester in south korea on a student exchange program
1 semester resident assistant
1 year hospital volunteering

Those are the big ones. Florida resident as well. Here´s the school list:

UF
USF
UM
UCF
Baylor
Vandy

NYU

Sinai

NYMC

Columbia

Cornell

Einstein

Penn

Jefferson


I think one of my major concerns was that it´s a bit top heavy. I know my stats are pretty good but I went in to an advisor and he said that my clinical exposure was minimal and kind of spooked me out a bit about my chances (this was before my MCAT score, but he said even with a 35 I might have trouble even getting interviews...). I was just wondering what you all thought, should I add a few more safeties or leave it as is? Thanks a lot for looking
 
Hey all, figured I´d go ahead and post one of these for myself to see what you guys think.

I´m a chemical engineering student with a 3.82 GPA and a balanced MCAT (35S: v 11 p 12 b 12)

ECs:

2 years or so of research on and off (no pubs, on and off because it was interrupted by semesters abroad)
1 semester of full time research in Japan (abstract, 2 presentations)
1 semester in south korea on a student exchange program
1 semester resident assistant
1 year hospital volunteering

Those are the big ones. Florida resident as well. Here´s the school list:

UF
USF
UM
UCF
Baylor
Vandy

NYU

Sinai

NYMC

Columbia

Cornell

Einstein

Penn

Jefferson


I think one of my major concerns was that it´s a bit top heavy. I know my stats are pretty good but I went in to an advisor and he said that my clinical exposure was minimal and kind of spooked me out a bit about my chances (this was before my MCAT score, but he said even with a 35 I might have trouble even getting interviews...). I was just wondering what you all thought, should I add a few more safeties or leave it as is? Thanks a lot for looking

Your list looks good to me. Maybe one or two more middle tier schools might help your chances; but if you have your heart set on these schools and nowhere else than just apply with this list.
 
Is that really sub-par? I'd say par, especailly for Jefferson and NYMC and with all your research ... but I guess you have to be able to spin it into a good compellign story in your PS / interviews to get into those upper-tier ones. I'd add some more non-super competitive schools. Are there any other Florida public? i'd do all of those .. but I bet you'll get in somewhere even with this list ...
 
well i said subpar purely because of what an advisor had told me. There are 2 other publics in florida but I´m not particularly interested in either (one is FIU which is set to open 09, the other FSU which I simply don´t have much of an interest in due to the strong commitment to primary care and rural medicine). As far as the list goes, its largely geographically based. If I were to add say 2 more mid tier schools what would you all suggest?