3.84 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 124 MCAT (132/130/132/130) Help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kegar99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a working list of schools that I'm looking at, would love any comments or suggestions on it.

Citizenship: Canadian. I'm currently in the process of obtaining permanent residency (my wife is a US citizen), hope to have it around Sep. of this year if nothing weird happens. I do however have to apply as an international, so that limits my options quite a bit.

Clinical Volunteer: about 120 hours in a hospital, time split between the ER and OR,
12 hours at an end-of-life care home for those with end-stage diseases such as Alzheimer's

Non-clinical Volunteer: 2 year proselyting mission for my church, about 50 hours teaching a weekly class at church

Research: 1 year in an evolutionary biology lab, no publications
coming up on 2 years in a diabetes research lab, secondary author on one publication, stuff I'm working on now should be published, but nor for a while

Shadowing: 61 hours total ( 40 hours ophthalmology, 5 hours orthopedics, 4 hours pediatrics, 4 hours wound care / hyperbarics, 8 hours rural ER)

Other ECs: love to ski, have been on intramural teams, been the student supervisor of my department at the university library for the past several months, served in leadership positions during my church mission

Awards/Honors:
$1500 grant to do diabetes research, academic scholarship for the vast majority of undergrad

Here's my current list:
U of Penn
Yale
Case Western
Wash U
U of Virginia
Thomas Jefferson
Stony Brook
Wayne State
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
St. Louis U
Virginia Commonwealth
U of Utah
Oakland U

I've also applied to all of the Texas schools on TMDSAS and 5 DO schools.

Thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Edit, 524 MCAT, 124 would be really low...

Your stats are solid, med schools look favourably on the 2 yr mission, and you're acknowledging the specific issues of your app.

Is there a rush? Are you getting married right out of college and not wanting to do a gap year? Why not just wait until you get citizenship handled so you can have more confidence in applying to schools that would accept an American with your MCAT in a heartbeat?
(Or will you have to apply as Canadian even after citizenship, I'm not too familiar with the process)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your stats are solid, med schools look favourably on the 2 yr mission, and you're acknowledging the specific issues of your app.

Is there a rush? Are you getting married right out of college and not wanting to do a gap year? Why not just wait until you get citizenship handled so you can have more confidence in applying to schools that would accept an American with your MCAT in a heartbeat?
(Or will you have to apply as Canadian even after citizenship, I'm not too familiar with the process)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I guess I hadn't really considered taking a gap year, it's just always been my mindset to apply right out of undergrad. I'm kind of doing a half one already because I graduate this coming December. I'm already married, so the process to get residency is already underway, I guess I'm hoping that by the time any interviews roll around I'll already have it and be able to share that with adcoms. Plus I already have TMDSAS and AACOMAS paid for and submitted, and if I'm already applying those I'd like to be applying for the other MDs as well.

And no I wouldn't have to still apply as an international once I have permanent residency, permanent residents are viewed the same as US citizens as far as adcoms are concerned.